PDA

View Full Version : Rough Chamber Neck

Pages : 1 [2]

Robinhood
09-29-2016, 06:16 AM
Is it possible there are 2 issues, a case/pressure/sizing issue or some other chamber problem, and the marks are left by the ejection? I have seen gas guns rip the rims off of cases due to over pressure.

m12lrs
09-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Is it possible there are 2 issues, a case/pressure/sizing issue or some other chamber problem, and the marks are left by the ejection? I have seen gas guns rip the rims off of cases due to over pressure.

look at the beginning of the thread. An explanation in pictures. the debate about the scratches on the brass doesn't have anything to do with the real problem

Robinhood
09-29-2016, 04:47 PM
look at the beginning of the thread. An explanation in pictures. the debate about the scratches on the brass doesn't have anything to do with the real problem

Looking at the brass I noticed two long scratches on the neck (see pic below). I suspicioned a bur in the neck.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t379/rcoody1/20160922_210928_001_resized_zps9f3wpnet.jpg

I stand corrected. The title of the thread threw me, "Rough Chamber Neck". I also had the part about the hones to clean up something running through my head. You can see where I got confused.

eddiesindian
09-29-2016, 09:35 PM
I have the Savage bolt guns too!

Like playing with all of them.

I believe I can make this work. First idea was exactly what you did. Bore mops.and lapping compound. But I believe this flex hone will work better. I have checked headspace with the Amax 123 and I have about 10 thousands of freebore.

If not I have a satern cut rifling barrel on order. **** shame to junk a $600 barrel though.

This one is a lightweight Grendel. My plan is a thermal scope hog hunting gun. We will see how it goes when the hones come.
I don't think you need to junk the barrel. 6 bills is ahole lotta cash. Id think about sending it back. If not, clean the chamber as best you can. After all?....it is your barrel and you can do with it as you please. Good Luck

earl39
09-30-2016, 12:26 AM
1...He'll you should be able to cut the gas off completely with the adjustable gas block, fire.a round.and cycle the action with the charging handle

2...Obviously sharpshooter believes you just open up the.gas till it.cycles or rips.the.case head off and keep shooting until the fired brass smooths out the chamber walls.

3...The pics of.the chamber neck mean nothing.

1...Some will some won't.

2...Sharpshooter never said over gas the action nor did I. I said a properly gassed system will unlock.

3...If the pics of the chamber neck mean nothing then why did you put them up there? And if the scratches on the neck have nothing to do with the real problem why even post the pics of the brass?

m12lrs
09-30-2016, 05:08 AM
1...Some will some won't.

2...Sharpshooter never said over gas the action nor did I. I said a properly gassed system will unlock.

3...If the pics of the chamber neck mean nothing then why did you put them up there? And if the scratches on the neck have nothing to do with the real problem why even post the pics of the brass?

I was being facetious. Pics meant a lot.to me. Seems they went right.over you guys head.

How about we drop it.

m12lrs
10-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Well I thought I would do a little update on my rough chamber neck thread.

Work has been hell lately. Had to take over a project that was a.month behind schedule. 24/7 and the owner is moving.in Monday. Needless to say I haven't gone to the gun range lately

I did get the flexhone and polished up the chamber. Went to the gun range this morning and she functioned flawlessly. I even turned the gas off and you could easily cycle the action with the charging handle.

Started with 30 gr. of cfe223. Put 10 rounds down range checking function and playing with the gas block.

Shot 5 5 shot groups with charges from 30 to 31.2 gr. 30 and 30.3 were the best. Lots more load development to come.

You guys were right abouto one thing. Those two scratches are on every piece of fired brass along with the usual dented case mouth. AR's are rough on brass.

eddiesindian
10-16-2016, 02:41 PM
AR,s are indeed ruff on brass.
I got rid of my AR10 in 308 years back but I still have one FAL in 308 and 4 different versions of AR15,s in 223 from target to tactical versions. there fun, and accurate. Only reason I got rid of my AR10 was due to the fact that somebody waved a wad of cash for it so I sold it and made out just fine.

Glad you followed your instincts and it worked out for you.