PDA

View Full Version : Savage barrel nut torque value??

Stickler
09-21-2016, 02:25 PM
I don't know where I recorded this value.

Can someone please provide it for me?
Thanx in advance.

LongRange
09-21-2016, 03:46 PM
your going to get a lot of different answers...ive always torqued to 25ft lbs.

LoneWolf
09-21-2016, 04:04 PM
I've always used 30ftlbs. ^^^^LR had one come loose on his Surgeon action lol I've been through almost 3 barrels now on my Mausingfield and have had no issues!

m12lrs
09-21-2016, 04:31 PM
I've always used 30ftlbs. ^^^^LR had one come loose on his Surgeon action lol I've been through almost 3 barrels now on my Mausingfield and have had no issues!

I wouldn't think it would come loose. Every time the gun is fired there should be torque tightening not loosening the barrel.

Obviously you really like that Mausingfield action. Every since I found it and started studying it I have wanted one. I have an extra savage duel port target action that either I will build on or sell and purchase the mausingfield. Is it as good as it sounds?

LoneWolf
09-21-2016, 04:35 PM
The action is only limited by how fast you are capable of cycling and firing it.

"The strength of the wolf is the pack, but the strength pack is the wolf"

Proudly sponsored by Apache Gun Works

LongRange
09-21-2016, 05:24 PM
LW is right i did have a barrel/nut come loose...i think the surgeon action was rejecting the barrel nut.

jim_k
09-21-2016, 08:50 PM
Crank it down tight, but not so tight you can't get it back off. That's probably 30-50 ft-lbs.

FW Conch
09-21-2016, 10:32 PM
^ This ^ I split the difference with 40ft/lbs.

hafejd30
09-21-2016, 10:55 PM
I use hand tight (snug) then 3-5 semi light hits against the barrel nut wrench with the 3/4 wrench I use to tighten action wrench. I used 25 ft lbs on one measured correctly with a torque wrench the first time I did a barrel, that came loose. Have barreled bout 15 guns now using this meathod and Havnt had an issue.

I always mark them with a sharpie to verify nothing moved after a while tho

Robinhood
09-21-2016, 11:22 PM
If you are torquing to a given value remember that if you use lubrication it will increase the applied torque over a dry fit.

snowgetter1
09-22-2016, 12:17 AM
Two solid whacks.

BillPa
09-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Me? A grunt to a grunt and a half using my big old calibrated arms and these.
http://oi34.tinypic.com/72ggep.jpg

Bill

FW Conch
09-22-2016, 07:51 AM
You da Man Bill! Still waiting for You to do a FAQ on this. It would save us from going over this for the umpteenth time.

" It's in the FAQ's" ;-))

LoneWolf
09-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Me? A grunt to a grunt and a half using my big old calibrated arms and these.
http://oi34.tinypic.com/72ggep.jpg

Bill

I need to modify my barrel nut wrench like that!

SidecarFlip
09-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Goot-n-tite

RC20
09-22-2016, 12:56 PM
I can give you two values.

NSS and their very nice setup (both the action wrench and the nut tool) has it listed at 45-50 foot lb and they recommend aniti seize on the threads to that covers the lubricating aspect changing the torque values.

I have done one on and took it off and the nut was tight and it came off nicely. Keep in mind that if there is anything other than 90 deg to the nut wrench it throws torque results off (you can calculate it for the two on the NSS wrench but 90 degrees works fine as you have the room for it)

I offer that up as the NSS wrench has two nicely placed 1/2 inch cutouts (I use the far one with a breaker bar for the original nut removal)

the other is from the AGI people on their work. I believe its 80-90 ft lbs. that seems to be far too much.

Keep in mind 50 ft lbs with lube would require (just throwing a number out) 75 ft lbs without the lube.

eddiesindian
10-14-2016, 11:34 PM
I use hand tight (snug) then 3-5 semi light hits against the barrel nut wrench with the 3/4 wrench I use to tighten action wrench. I used 25 ft lbs on one measured correctly with a torque wrench the first time I did a barrel, that came loose. Have barreled bout 15 guns now using this meathod and Havnt had an issue.

This sounds total redneck to me lololololoo....But Im good with that! Hell Ive been over hauling transmissions for the past 40 years and using wrench,s in what ever size as a hammer/mallet or driver works for me.

SidecarFlip
10-15-2016, 07:48 AM
This sounds total redneck to me lololololoo....But Im good with that! Hell Ive been over hauling transmissions for the past 40 years and using wrench,s in what ever size as a hammer/mallet or driver works for me.

IOW... Gootentite.....:p

RC20
10-15-2016, 12:01 PM

the part about hitting tools with tools makes me cringe. That's tool abuse, if you are going to do that that is what hammers are for. Nothing wrong with force (light or not) where needed but use the right tool

that said marking the nut with a sharpie is a darned good idea.

As noted, 45 to 50 ft lbs is what NSS has in their instructions and I use that (with anti seize lube they recommend) dry should be higher, I won't guess that one, I go with the recommended per NSS.

SidecarFlip
10-15-2016, 12:54 PM
Sharpie's are ok, problem is, you clean the firearm and off comes the mark. I use a fine point paint marker myself. I use it on scopes when I lap and align the rings too. That way I can remove the optic and place it back in the exact same position I removed it from. Makes life simpler.