PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice for a new rifle purchase

bigred6695
09-20-2016, 10:11 PM
Hello, I'm wanting to get into long range shooting. I've currently been using my old savage 110 30-06 to shoot out to around 500 yards. This is currently my hunting rifle but i've been enjoying doing some bench shooting with it as well and i've been switching back and forth between my target loads and hunting loads (when its hunting season). I've now decided that I want to get a dedicated target rifle and I'd like to shoot out to 1000 yds. I've really enjoyed shooting out to 500 and want to keep reaching out farther. Currently I'm looking at either a long range hunter or a model 12lrp in 6.5 Creedmoor. Most of my shooting will be from a bench, but sometimes prone. From what i've been able to research, it looks like the model 12 has a heavier barrel, and a trigger that's more adjustable. Could you please provide some input on the differences in these two rifles and which one may be a better choice for what I'm wanting to use it for? At the moment I'm not planning to do any matches or competitions this is purely for fun but that doesn't mean I wont change my tune down the road. Thanks!

PS. If there are any other rifle makes/models in this price range you'd recommend I'm open for suggestions

Steelhead
09-20-2016, 11:04 PM
The LRP is pretty decent.

For my rifle I slapped a prefit barrel on a plain Jane 11 receiver and slapped that into a chassis.
Target spring for the trigger gets me down to about 2-2 1/2lbs.
Rifle is a dream to shoot

Anschutz
09-21-2016, 02:20 AM
If you ever might shoot any sort of competition, I would say go for a .308. It sounds like you reload so a 175 SMK would be a good choice for getting out to 1K. Then, if you decide you want to shoot competition, you can use the rifle in F-T/R (.308 or .223 only) competition. For me, I don't care about being competitive, I just wanted a flat shooting coyote whacker so I'm building a .243. If I can get a 105 gr A-Max to about 2900 FPS, I will be supersonic until well past 1000. From what I've read 2900 fps should be easy and I'll have less recoil to boot. As far as your two choices, I would say go with the LRP. Weight isn't an issue on a range gun, you only have to carry it from the truck to the bench. Once you get a Scope and Bipod on the LRP it'll be about 14 pounds or so which is a good solid weight for long range shooting. The only reason I won't suggest the LRP in .243 is the barrel is a 1 in 9.25 twist which won't stabilize the heavy VLDs like the 1in8 in the 6.5 will.

bearcatrp
09-21-2016, 03:24 AM
Save some money and check out the 10T in 6.5 creedmoor. Or spend a bit more and check out the stealth rifles savage just put out. I bought the 10T in 308, then the 6.5. Put a nice cadex chassis on the Creedmoor. Both shoot great but the Creedmoor will be easier to obtain 1000+ yards.

Texas10
09-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Go here and check out the target rifles. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/allfirearms/

Don't know about you, but I just drool like Pavlov's dog every time I look at this....LOL

I like the 6 br Norma. Very efficient cartridge. Doesn't need a lot or powder to get the bullet out to 1000 yds. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12BENCHREST

jim_k
09-21-2016, 09:59 AM
You can load Berger 185's in your '06 and easily get to 1,000 yards with what you have. Do that first, and don't spent a dime yet. BTW, those can be the Berger hunting VLD's, and you can punch paper, pigs, deer, or elk with the same load. A bullet jump of 0.010-0.020" should shoot just fine with those bullets out to 1,000.

bigred6695
09-21-2016, 12:41 PM
Hey everyone, thank you for your replies. I had considered doing a 308 but after talking to a guy at a local gun shop who participates on long range matches he talked me into the creedmoor, so that is why i'm leaning that direction. At one point I had considered doing more work to my 06, but I'd like to leave it how it is for hunting (light weight and not have to change the scope settings going back and forth). Also the 6.5 will use less powder, and have lighter recoil for extended shooting sessions. As far as the other savage rifles, I'm going to look at them now. Their website didnt seem to do a good job explaining the differences between their different rifle lines so that's where i've been having issues deciding which way to go. Whats the difference between the 10T and the 12 LRP?