PDA

View Full Version : 9mm questions

squirrel_slayer
09-20-2016, 12:10 PM
I know i've seen a savage converted to a 45 acp and want to say I've heard of someone making a 9mm as well. I bought my first reamer and wanted to make myself a 9mm barrel for the savage. I'm sure getting it to feed from a magazine will be the bigger battle and I will probably attempt to make a mag block to accept some sort of handgun magazine but for now my main interest is it doable with a savage action? it looks to me that all I really need to do is open up the bolt face a hair then thread, contour, chamber and headspace the barrel? this is my first major project on my lathe and in it more for the fun and experience. ultimately I plan on making a 22 tcm barrel and figured this would be the cheaper learning experience. I'm waiting on two suppressor form 1's to clear so it will be fun to send some cast subsonic bullets and it will open to door to me being able to enjoy the great past time of plinking as the 22lr is dead to me know. I don't ever forsee it being the same ever again. I'd rather cast my own and shoot for .3-4 cents per round.

sharpshooter
09-21-2016, 12:12 AM
Don't waste your time. A little teeny weeny cartridge like a 9 mm was never meant to be marriaged to a a full size bolt action rifle. It not only won't feed, it won't eject , either.

Anschutz
09-21-2016, 01:34 AM
I won't say don't waste your time. It's your time, do with it as you wish. If you want to make a 9mm Savage, go ahead. I think with a can it would be a super accurate and cheap plinker. As SS said, you will have issues but anything can be modified to make it all work. For me, I think just running it as a single shot would be just fine. With a can, and something like the Lyman 356637 with the cavity milled out to make a WFN, it would be a fun squirrel gun. Head shots only if they're for the pot. Now if you could find a way to adapt a G43 magazine to fit and function, that would be the bees knees.

squirrel_slayer
09-21-2016, 08:35 AM
ahh I did forget about the ejection part of the equation. a case that short would probably get flicked off before it made it past the ejection port. wonder how the guy got the 45 acp to eject as it's not much longer of a case? I cast quite a few 38 bullets but i'd really like to see if I could get my 200-f to stabalize. but realistically i'd probably just shoot the lee 358-158-rf most of the time.

The easy route would be 300 blackout but I just recently sold all of my 300 blk related items as I do worry about ammo some how making it's way into one of my 5.56 guns and lets just say Murphy likes to mess with me on a regular basis so I try and minimize his haunting.

Anschutz the squirrels here will stay far away from the pot! lol **** cannibalistic ground squirrels.(they literally eat there fallen comrads!) a friend of mine and I used to thin them out for a local rancher every spring but with 22lr being what it is we havent done it in 2-3 years.

Anschutz
09-21-2016, 01:26 PM
They actually do that as a defense of the colony. When one gets injured they kill it and drag it to the hole so predators don't come for them all.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

handirifle
09-21-2016, 02:00 PM
Personally I don't care why or what they do with them. I try to eradicate the little snots every chance I get. I don't worry when I wound one and he crawls in his hole. One way or the other it dies.
That's the only animal this state actually tell you how to poison them, and will give out plans on making the poison feeders.

handirifle
09-21-2016, 02:17 PM
Squirrel slayer
Why not open up a 223 case or similar to accept a 9mm bullet, and go that route? Load it with a cast bullet and that powder (whos name TOTALLY escapes me) that is shaped like little rings.

TRAIL BOSS, gettn old sucks sometimes.

squirrel_slayer
09-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Squirrel slayer
Why not open up a 223 case or similar to accept a 9mm bullet, and go that route? Load it with a cast bullet and that powder (whos name TOTALLY escapes me) that is shaped like little rings.

TRAIL BOSS, gettn old sucks sometimes.

that would likely require a custom reamer, and i've considered doing a rimless .357 mag for my ar years back and with the .223 case it would actually have a reverse taper which is a no-no. option 2 would be to fire form it and blow the web out to a larger diameter but that scares me as far as integrity of the case goes. I scored this 9mm reamer for a real good deal and I already had plans to buy a 5.5" 9mm barrel for my SBR AR lower and there extremely simple (no gas system or extension to worry about hell you don't even have to thread anything if you don't want to.) then I remembered dolomite_superfly's sweet 45 acp he did on a savage so that got the gear's crunchin to do the same but in 9mm. there is a guy on silencertalk who is doing 9mm conversions on the armscore 22tcm rifle and that thing is silly quiet with a suppressor and suprisingly very quiet even with sub's and no can. at 100 yards you hardly hear the report of the gun without the suppressor. I may still give it a shot as i'd only be out $40 for a blank plus some time. worst case if it doesn't work maybe i'll try my hand at making that falling block action I have drawn on a piece of paper somewhere and screw the barrel onto it.

I owned a hipoint carbine years back and with a 158 cast over 3.2gr of W231 it was a blast to shoot and no louder than a 22 with alot more autority on the recieving end.

handirifle
09-21-2016, 08:14 PM
I did wonder about the High Point, but wasn't sure if it would be nearly as accurate as your idea, probably will be. I know you already have a reamer, but what about chambering for the 357 Auto Mag. Might not be as quiet as you want though. But the .473 case rim would simplify the build. I am sure it could be loaded down a bit for suppression.

squirrel_slayer
09-21-2016, 09:24 PM
naa thats alot of case capacity. i'd rather go 45 acp if I had to buy another reamer as I know that has been done successfully. my long term goal is actually a custom 22tcm. essentially a modern 22 hornet that uses .223 brass as it's parent case. I would have the reamer changed slightly to have a throat/neck length of a .223/5.56 but keep the body taper of the 22 tcm that way dies would still work fine. the neck and throat changes will allow it to shoot a broader range of bullets. that will one day become my 22lr replacement.

Anschutz
09-22-2016, 03:38 AM
.22 ammo has me fed up as well. Even not casting, I can load a 9mm for less than buying .22lr. If I had a 9mm falling block even a TC single shot, my .22s would see no use outside of small bore matches.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

adam38654
09-22-2016, 03:21 PM
10mm is comparable to 357 energy and is a rimless cartridge.