PDA

View Full Version : sounds weak when dry fired.

OldDog
09-20-2016, 08:51 AM
I bought a pre accutrigger 116 chambered in 30-06 a little while back,and have adjusted the trigger to my satisfaction,and have noticed it is not very loud when dry firing..I have two Axis ,one in 7 mm-08,and one in 223,and they both have a sharp snap,but the 116 has more of a dull thud..I shot it a few times,and it fired,but I am still concerned that it may fail me while hunting..Should it sound that much different from the Axis rifles?..I've had Savage 110 series rifles in the past,but can't remember if they sounded dull when dry fired...Any help that you folks could provide would be appreciated..

LoneWolf
09-20-2016, 08:56 AM
You can't really go by the sound alone. There's a lot of things that go into that. Like a hollow cheap plastic stock vs a nice wood stock. The same rifle would sound much different in either stock. There's a good article available on checking the firing pin protrusion that you could make sure the firing pin is far enough forward. However, if you run a box of 20 through it with no failures I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Robinhood
09-20-2016, 12:33 PM
I agree with LoneWolf. However if you want to ease your concerns, pull the BAS out of the bolt, hold your finger over the open end and shake the bolt. Hold it where the cocking pin will not fall out. The firing pin should slap back and forth and you should feel it hit home in the firing direction of pin travel. If it does not move freely then you need to pull it apart and look for damage or rub marks. If it is used some people like to adjust firing pin spring tension to reduce bolt lift, and that could be an issue. Lightly lubricate the bolt with some fine oil or transmission fluid.

Good luck.

OldDog
09-20-2016, 09:31 PM
I took it out,and shot it some today,and it functioned just fine..I feel pretty confident in it now...Thanks