PDA

View Full Version : Axis ii xp vs 11vt?

Savage11194
09-19-2016, 01:03 PM
As the title says I'm looking for a new budget rifle. My local field and stream has the axis for 399 with a Bushnell 9x scope and has the 11vt for 419 with a 12x scope. Which would you recommend and why? I'm also considering a mossberg patriot but not too sure on it

hereinaz
09-19-2016, 05:02 PM
I'd go with 11vt, which is from Dick's: it's a true short action, longer barrel, heavy barrel, marginally better stock. Also, more after market support for 11.

The axis is presumably in a sporter barrel, which is only good if you want a light rifle, which you won't be firing multiple strings of shots to heat the barrel to the point of losing accuracy. The Axis is a long action. The stock is barely passable.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

swamphonkey
09-20-2016, 08:35 AM
Get one of the savages. Don't waste your money on the Mossberg. I got a couple of the fluted barrel ATRs same thing as the New ones. They won't hold under 1-1/2" with any thing. I don't even uses them accept to test pressure on hot loads They don't even have scopes on them any more. They are not the same level as any savage centerfire. I have "read" reviews where people claim they shoot but I got mine for my clients to use so they didn't have to fly with rifles. But I won't trust them to hit a hog or deer over 150. I ended up buying a few axis and trimming triggers and putting boyds on them and they are some of my best shooting rifles. I really like them they have been in service for 3 years and are great rifles.

DrThunder88
09-21-2016, 03:32 AM
Axises are good, but they're the best when they're cheap. If the price is almost the same as a 1X/11X, I will almost always recommend the latter for the reasons hereinaz says.

gumbo333
09-21-2016, 10:22 AM
Think there should be much more reasonably priced Axis. Be nice if you could find people with both that you could handle. I have 3 Axis and really like them after the simple trigger mod and the rockite mod. I like the small narrow stock. Never had a 10 series but sure liked a 110 years ago. All port side.

reaper06
09-28-2016, 07:38 PM
I'd say go with the 11 V/T for the same reasons mentioned above.

swamphonkey
10-01-2016, 08:32 AM
Oh yes for 20$ more 100% get the mod 11. I'm not saying it will shoot better but it is a nicer out of the box rifle. I got my axis rifles before they started sliding the price up. They were under 300$ for the rifles. If I had to pay 4 for it I would for sure get a mod 11. Savage is trying to make axis into a expensive rifle. Leave it bones and let the new owners 're-stock it in wood and put new mounts and scopes on it and do the triggers. Because for 400$ no way am I buying a 300$ rifle I don't care what savage has put on it that I'm going to replace anyway because they use the cheapest crap they can. Like the wood stock ? Why so you still have to seal it. And pay another 150$ Ill get my own for that and get exactly what I want. Savage give us back the 280$ axis with the 50$ rebate. That's why everyone loved them. That's like a king ranch version of a Ford ranger.

kwood94xj
10-11-2016, 07:37 AM
OP what did you end up getting? I had the same debate then the 11VT went on sale and Im very happy with it. shoots 1 MOA with crappy factory ammo. Plenty of aftermarket support. If you look at the 11VT try to look at the bottom metal and see it it is a seperate pice from the stock. Mine is so I can buy a normal one and use non axis mags. The stock really isn't that bad.

pisgah
10-11-2016, 02:25 PM
Depends on what I am using it for. For target shooting, or hunting strictly from a stand, the 11VT; for hiking and stalking, the lighter Axis.