PDA

View Full Version : Savage Trigger Issue

Boba Debt
07-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Savage Trigger Issue

I have a Savage FCP-K in 308 with a Chote Custom Tactical Stock

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p298/BobaDebt/Props/Savage/ChoateRight.jpg

I finally got to shoot it today and had an issue, I think.

Once I fired the gun I would leave the safety in the fire position, pull the bolt back, eject the casing and load another round. Then I could not pull the trigger or set the safety to safe.

I had to rotate the bolt down, set the safety relock the bolt and then I could release the safety and fire the gun.

Does this sound right?

82boy
07-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Why are you setting the safety?

Turn the trigger weight up it is too low, and causing the accu-trigger to lock up.

drybean
07-31-2010, 10:07 PM
had the same prom. w/mine trigger set to lite

bodywerks
08-01-2010, 12:39 AM
What happens is, after firing, the trigger doesn't fully return when you cycle the bolt, so the sear slips past the notch on the trigger and jams against the accutrigger blade. This can do two things - it locks up the trigger for sure, and can prevent the bolt from cycling because the sear is in the way of the cocking piece pin. All you're doing by cycling the safety button is forcing the trigger to fully reset and then it works again.
Like others have said, increasing the trigger pull weight will fix it most of the time, and while you're in there make sure the sear hinge pin is fully seated as it can cause problems as well.
However, do you really want to have to have a 3-3.5lb trigger? Cause that's what its gonna take to make that trigger reliable. On my fcp-k I switched to the SSS competition trigger and will never look back. It is reliable and breaks like glass at 15 ounces. Takes some modification to make it work on the fcp-k but I already posted pics of that here( search 'sss competition trigger does not work') and the effort is way worth the benefit of the trigger.

bodywerks
08-01-2010, 12:51 AM
By the way, mine is also in the choate custom tactical. If you're having problems with the cheek piece dropping, remove the set screw and taper the end of it a bit with a dremel or sander. Seemed to help mine.
And why such HIGH rings???

range rat
08-01-2010, 07:54 AM
However, do you really want to have to have a 3-3.5lb trigger? Cause that's what its gonna take to make that trigger reliable.

In most cases with the target accu-trigger you only need to add a few ounces to stop the improper engagement. Never saw this issue with the standard trigger. Maybe a clearance issue with the new stock?? Take the stock off and see if it still malfunctions. I had the same problem.

hailstone
08-01-2010, 09:34 AM
I've had the SSS competition trigger do the same thing. Ended up being the trigger guard needed little relief on front upper surface so mechanism could reset. Since making this mod I've started making it on all my Savage/Stevens trigger guards for piece of mind. After modification haven't had any problems.

Boba Debt
08-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Why are you setting the safety?

That was the only way I could get the trigger /safety to work.

Turn the trigger weight up it is too low, and causing the accu-trigger to lock up.

Ok. The Trigger Weight seems to be a common rersponce.

However, I can't repeat this problem with an unloaded gun. I guess I'll have to adjust it the next time I shoot it?????

And why such HIGH rings???

They are what came with the scope. I'm "scope" stupid. Yesterday I had to aim about 18" low and 12 inches to the right to hit the center of the paper. Would the high rings cause this problem?

I would love to get some lower rings so if anyone has any suggestions please post them

In most cases with the target accu-trigger you only need to add a few ounces to stop the improper engagement. Never saw this issue with the standard trigger. Maybe a clearance issue with the new stock?? Take the stock off and see if it still malfunctions. I had the same problem.

Since I can't seem to duplicate this issue with an unloaded gun I woun't be able to try it with the stock removed.

I've had the SSS competition trigger do the same thing. Ended up being the trigger guard needed little relief on front upper surface so mechanism could reset. Since making this mod I've started making it on all my Savage/Stevens trigger guards for piece of mind. After modification haven't had any problems.

If adjusting the trigger doesn’t work I will try this.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Blue Avenger
08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
have an empty case or 2 laying around? ;) some times the speed at which you cycle the bolt closed effects light set triggers.

Blue Avenger
08-01-2010, 01:22 PM
scope height on a dedicated bench gun is more about repeatability & comfort then keeping it close to the bore. people come in different lengths.

If you shoulder the gun and realize you are searching for the scope, or feel like your head/neck is extreamley uncomfortable then you need to change something.

bodywerks
08-01-2010, 02:05 PM
have an empty case or 2 laying around? ;) some times the speed at which you cycle the bolt closed effects light set triggers.

That is exactly it. if you cycle the bolt slowly it will cock properly every time. But one should not have to do that with a rifle like this. Benchrest maybe, but not a gun like this.

Boba Debt
08-01-2010, 02:15 PM

I couldn't duplicate the issue with empty casings

frank1947
08-03-2010, 12:31 PM
my trigger on my 10 is all the way out light no problem but on my f-class from the factory it would hang up could not pull found a bunch of grease in the slot that the sear (i think ) had to reset in scrubbed the grease out and all is good