PDA

View Full Version : First Savage

spinconn
09-17-2016, 06:16 PM
I just joined the forum a day or so ago because I just got my first Savage today. It is a 12 VLP .223 with 9 inch twist.

I am an old guy and have owned many firearms but never a Savage. I ordered this one because I want accuracy from a bench for 100 to 300 yards and my last efforts with other brands were disappointing. I thought Savages were not known for looks but their reputation for accuracy is strong so I ordered one. Well, this particular rifle is nothing less than beautiful.

I don't know yet if it is accurate but I get to go to the range tomorrow and, if it is not too crowded, I will find out then. I do have a question though. The LGS guy said he was surprised that the barrel was not crowned. It is recessed and I thought that was one type of crowning. Is that normal for the 12 VLP?

jpx2rk
09-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Welcome to the forum from one old guy to another. :rolleyes:

hereinaz
09-17-2016, 07:54 PM
Strange LGS dude... Savage recesses most of the varmint barrels, if not all, as far as I know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

spinconn
09-18-2016, 07:09 AM
Thank you both.

zilla
09-18-2016, 10:53 AM
My son has a 12FV in 223. With our handloads it is a one hole shooter. Extremely accurate.. We use 52 Sierra match bullets. and 335.

RC20
09-18-2016, 01:59 PM
I don't know technically how they break it down, but to me a recess is a form of crown (which is really silly if you think about it, a crown should go up not down)

So its a form, Target crown has 11 degree slope (if I recall that right) recessed and a couple of other forms.

Recessed is more rougher field protection , why 11 degree target I don't know or the other forms but all have smooth edges at the rifling for a good even bullet exit.

this seems to cover it.

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/targetcrown.html

spinconn
09-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Thanks, I think the opinions vary on which type of crown is best, but I also thought a recess was one accepted version. Anyhow, I got to the range today and it shows great promise as is.

Zilla, do you know what your twist rate is?

jpx2rk
09-19-2016, 07:20 AM
The 12 FV in 223 are 9 twist, this model is a Cabelas "exclusive", I've got one and mine shows lots of promise in the accuracy dept as well.

I've been fighting with a RAR for the past few months, and now that I've got it usable, I can move on to my other "projects", such as my 2 FV 12's in 223 & 204. :rolleyes:

FW Conch
09-19-2016, 08:05 AM
An 11deg target crown displays the gases escaping the barrel groves and assures the shooter has no damage to the crown. When inspecting the muzzle after firing, there should be a little "fan" at each groove, meaning the gasses are escaping evenly around the bore. Some purist like to keep it "in the white".