PDA

View Full Version : Long action .308 advise

sigfla
09-17-2016, 05:47 PM
I have one of the old long action .308's. I never really liked it since new b/c I thought when I bought it that it was gonna be a true short action. In fact I have never fired it. I have since added several true short actions and it seems to have a permanent spot in very very far back wall of my safe. I can either get rid of it (I don't think for much since its a long action lefty .308), OR I can convert it to something else. I have no real understanding of the old style feeding system other than the fact that it has a spacer to use .308.

My questions are:

1. Can/should I re-chamber to a long action caliber using the same barrel? IE, Can the .308 magazine be converted to a long action caliber? I know I can re-chamber but dunno how the magazine spacer setup will work out. I am also not 100% I want a Heavy Barrel long action anything. I just doubt I will ever use it.

2. Trade it? I dunno if my LGS would even want a lefty franken action. I also don't know if there is some aspect to the setup that might appeal to the internet market. Anyone out there looking for a lefty long action .308?

3. Part the gun out? I can pull the barrel and use it on another true short action I have. I am kinda wanting a magazine fed SA .308 and that barrel would work BUT if I could trade it for one of the new .308 SA LE models I am done w/out having to build. Somebody else may want a lefty LA for a build.

Any suggestions? I kinda hate having it sit unused and I could have some fun with a new .223 or like I said a mag fed .308 something else. My kid is buzzing my ear right now so I dunno if this the clearest post but any suggestions on what to do with the old style LA .308 is appreciated.

WV1951
09-17-2016, 07:49 PM
From my brief time on here, it looks as though lefty actions are not that common, so I would think parting it out would not be an issue.

hereinaz
09-17-2016, 07:58 PM
If it was originally a .308 from Savage, some were not machined as a short action in the bottom of the action. So, a long action cartridge might not fit. So, you should check as you'll be asked if you tear it down.

List it in the classified section here, you never know who is looking.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

geargrinder
09-17-2016, 08:49 PM
If it was originally a .308 from Savage, some were not machined as a short action in the bottom of the action. So, a long action cartridge might not fit. So, you should check as you'll be asked if you tear it down.

List it in the classified section here, you never know who is looking.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This.

There is no spacer. It uses a true short action mag box because the action is only opened for a short action mag opening.

You can run it as a repeater for any short action offering, or long action as a single shot. Or, you could get it machined to mach a long action magazine opening.

I also have one of these actions. It's one of my favorites. It started life as a 308. It's been a 223 and several other things all the way up to a 338 Edge. It's currently a 28 Nosler.

Here's a picture of when it was a 338 Edge.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001327.jpg (http://s234.photobucket.com/user/geargrinder123/media/S8001327.jpg.html)

sigfla
09-17-2016, 08:55 PM
Great looking setup. If I had any kind of long range outlet here in FL I would love a setup like that. I think maybe just listing it and buying a new setup is the easiest thing. Somebody can get some use out of it and I can buy something that fits my new addiction for groundhog hunting.

Ironhorse191
09-19-2016, 06:45 AM
I am a lefty and looking for left handed bolts. Currently have two 300WM and looking to rebuild one. If you ever decide to post for sale let me know.