PDA

View Full Version : Internet and the UN

Robinhood
09-17-2016, 10:18 AM
More specifically, turning the Keys over to the UN(a fascist global government institution) by the current POTUS could be the death of firearms forums, as well as any firearm or firearm parts sales on the internet. Please contact your congressmen and demand action.

Sorry Jim, If this is too political. I thought the potential impact was worthy of bending the rules.

yobuck
09-17-2016, 10:27 AM
I think Trump has plans on kicking them out and turning the buildings into a luxury apartment complex.
It would be a win win for everybody, especially NYC.

Robinhood
09-17-2016, 10:44 AM
haha. I was trying to bait the conversation. ICAAN is opening up new domain names if that is the correct terminology. Cruz thinks this is a threat. What say you?

J.Baker
09-19-2016, 08:22 AM
The concern all has to do with the fact that without the U.S. government control via a contract, ICANN would expose itself to antitrust lawsuits that would put it out of business. As such, ICANN will need to contract with another government-like entity (the U.N. being the most likely candidate) to avoid the antitrust issue. The fear is that the U.N. would use it's influence over ICANN to prohibit domain names containing verbage they're against (i.e. anything gun related).

Lots of conflicting information on the subject out there so it's hard to get a clear picture of what's fact and what's B.S. Personally I'm not concerning myself with it. Whatever happens happens, and if it affect me and this site I'll deal with it accordingly.

As for Ted Cruz, he proved to me he's nothing more than a spoiled little brat with no integrity during the primary season. He's just as much an arrogant ideologue as Obama, and that's from someone who was hoping Cruz would be the Republican nominee going into the primary season.

Robinhood
09-19-2016, 08:29 AM
That's the narrative I was after. Ted Cruz muddied the water for me. He has proven to be a decent watchdog in the past bu I never know when he is showboating.

J.Baker
09-19-2016, 08:45 AM
The concern is very legitimate, and ICANN is about as corrupt and self-serving an organization you'll ever find (how it's considered a non-profit is still beyond me).

Here's one of the better informative articles I've found on the subject.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/an-internet-giveaway-to-the-u-n-1472421165

Then there is this article, but it notably lacks any mention of the antitrust issue.

http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2016/sep/14/ted-cruz/ted-cruz-incorrect-about-obama-giving-control-inte/

Robinhood
09-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Thanks for putting some value to the topic Jim