PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas 10T in 6.5 creedmoor or build

chetc
09-15-2016, 09:35 AM
thinking about the cabelas model 10T in 6.5 creedmoor for 600.00 or build. i have a model 12 bvss in 223, would it be a better choice to install an aftermarket barrel and change out the bolt head rather than the 10T at cabelas, i figure it would be around 400.00 to build.
question is would the build me more accurate, any thoughts ect..

Chet

ps the other question is about the quality of the cabelas 10 t stock is it an aluminum bedded stock, is it rigid.

rjtfroggy
09-15-2016, 04:54 PM
IMO the BVSS stock is much, much, better and an after market barrel will be also much better.
Now with that said here is the caveat, once you go down this path there is no turning back, it never ends. Pretty soon you will be building from scratch and trying to make the next better than the last.
Pretty soon you will have a small fortune tied up in reloading equipment, components, tools, you name it you will want or have it, Then you will start shooting matches and need more stuff, it never ends.
So never ever say you were not warned, 17 Savages in safe and they are still reproducing.

chetc
09-15-2016, 05:49 PM
IMO the BVSS stock is much, much, better and an after market barrel will be also much better.
Now with that said here is the caveat, once you go down this path there is no turning back, it never ends. Pretty soon you will be building from scratch and trying to make the next better than the last.
Pretty soon you will have a small fortune tied up in reloading equipment, components, tools, you name it you will want or have it, Then you will start shooting matches and need more stuff, it never ends.
So never ever say you were not warned, 17 Savages in safe and they are still reproducing.

HI Froggy, after reading this reply, i am on my 4th cup of coffee,,, gettin the shakes, but will decide by daybreak

Texas10
09-16-2016, 12:12 AM
I pulled the stock 223 barrel (9 twist) off my BVSS and installed an 8 twist Criterion. The original barrel was no slouch....drilled a bunch of 5 shot groups in the low 2's and sometimes 0's. But for long range work, it was a little out of breath at 750 yds. Really needed more twist.

New barrel is shooting 75's and 77's and have yet to try 80 SMK....but so far it's looking good.

Next barrel to go on it will be a 6mmBR. Can't wait :rockon:

chetc
09-16-2016, 07:41 AM
hi texas10

i have a 6br with a pacnor barrel and a stockade stock, it is very accurate and boring to shoot at 100yds with the 107mk

Chet

darkker
10-13-2016, 07:11 PM
A month late to the party, but you never said which way you went, if any??

The problem has ALWAYS been with a factory savage, what will you get? Are you getting one of the short chambered, or corrugated barrels, or a shooter?
As far as "which is better", there is really not a simple answer, other than with aftermarket(build) you KNOW what you are getting into up front, and can make it your own.
Buying is for the masses to get an idea. Building is exactly how you want it.