PDA

View Full Version : 75 GR AMAX in PMAG

Pages : 1 [2]

cowtownup
11-07-2016, 10:40 PM
Thats awesome swamphonkey. I never found an exit wound on the doe my son shot. I'm sure he was pretty nervous, but he ended up shooting the deer in the hind quarter instead of the front shoulder like I instructed him to do. We had to finish the deer off in the woods. As eager as I was to get him in the hunt and on his first deer, I learned that when using a smaller caliber as such, shot placement is KING. I think he needs a couple years and be able to easily shoot 1 to 1.5 MOA groups at 100 yards before he goes for that humdinger buck. By that time he should be able to handle a 243 or something more stout.. As far as the 77 TMK goes, I'll probably not take another deer with them.. I may have jumped the gun a little on getting my little man in the hunt. Live and learn... lol...

swamphonkey
11-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Nah.. It's good you started him. I started my kids real young also. And my grand baby at 6 he shot his first buck but he had been going with me for a year sitting in the shot house. Sometimes we want something for them more than they do. But every once a while one really wants it. Those kids turn into real woodsmen. I have a young black man I started hunting when he was 10 but for 5 years that boy asked me if I would take him to get a deer. He really wanted it his daddy said when he was 10 he could go. Lol the week before his 10th birthday he called me to remind me he was turning 10. Lol. And I schooled him right I didn't just take him and put him in a stand and shoot one. I showed him how to read sign what kind of woods to look for just how to be a Hunter. And that man is a very skilled woodsman now. To many have lost the real skill of hunting. Now it's pour a bag on the ground put up a stand ,buy the scent control clothing or whatever New thingies. When I started at 6 it was a 410 with a slug and a green army jacket that went to my knees and walking behind my granddad or Mom and they schooled me on how to find deer. We had tree stands but it was some old boards up in a white oak. Mostly we walked and shot off the ground. Deerhunting has come along way but a lot has been lost.