PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter

jamesp81
09-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Considering getting one of these in 223. I have some questions. For those that have them, how many shots is it before it start losing accuracy due to heat?

I'm going to try to get this thing down to a 1/2 moa shooter (part of that will be getting MYSELF down to a 1/2 moa shooter:p). I suspect I won't get there with the factory stock. What is this forum's opinion of the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock?

For optics, I'm planning on using a fixed 20x SWFA scope with adjustable parallax, unless someone tells me no, they not good scopes.

pdog2062
09-14-2016, 07:04 PM
I have one in 223,surprisingly it shoots under 1/2 inch with 55 grain bulk hp from Midsouth and Benchmark.I have it in a Boyd's varmint thumb hole stock.I have used it on the prairie dog towns for the last four years with no problems and expect it to last many more,very happy with it,I also put a muzzle brake on it so I can see the impacts better.An added benefit is I have the entire side of the town to myself.

jamesp81
09-15-2016, 02:02 PM
I have one in 223,surprisingly it shoots under 1/2 inch with 55 grain bulk hp from Midsouth and Benchmark.I have it in a Boyd's varmint thumb hole stock.I have used it on the prairie dog towns for the last four years with no problems and expect it to last many more,very happy with it,I also put a muzzle brake on it so I can see the impacts better.An added benefit is I have the entire side of the town to myself.

When you're shooting PDs, how long / how many shots before barrel heat starts to mess your accuracy up?

pdog2062
09-15-2016, 02:11 PM
I usually just shoot 15 to 20 rounds then change rifles and put the hot one in the shade but I do this all day long.Really haven't had any problem but my barrels are all free floated