PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Forearm split.

corvairkid
07-31-2010, 09:15 AM
I have a 20 Ga. Savage Fox B in very good to excellent condition.
There is, however, a small crack (less than 1/2 in.) in the front of the forearm.
The finish is in really nice shape.
Any suggestions on what to do?

jpdown
07-31-2010, 11:33 AM
I'd get a push tube of the Devcon 5 minute clear epoxy. Mix some up and force into crack with fingers or sringe tube. Wipe off excess with rag and vinegar. Let dry. It is most likely a lacquer finish. So, I would use some Formby Finish Restorer applied to very fine sand paper and lightly work the area to blend in the finish. Should stop the crack from expanding and add character to the wood.

Eric in NC
07-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Previous advice is pretty good, but if it is a through crack (you can see both sides), work a piece of dental floss into the crack and run some glue onto the floss and use that to pull the glue into the crack. Then clamp it (you should figure a way to clamp it first!).

I would not use the formby stuff (I bet it is varnish, or oil and not lacquer) and certainly not sandpaper. You can color epoxy with most any type of dye (brownels sells special stuff for guns). I would also consider using gorilla glue since it is better at filling voids (just check it as it dries and clean up any that seeps out according to directions on the bottle).

You could also look for a replacement - pretty common!

corvairkid
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Thanks! I'll post my results and try to take some pictures.