PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: 99 Early model F question?

Flintlock28
09-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Took my 1924 Early model F 99 to the range today. The rifle shot very well with Hornady Superformance ammo, but one thing I noticed is that when loading the first round; I would have to hold the carrier away from it's resting position...i.e. I had to physically turn it to allow the first bullet to enter the magazine. After the first round was loaded, the others went in easily.

Is it generally normal to have to slightly rotate the carrier, when loading the first round? or should the first round enter without having to rotate the carrier?

Thanks...I re-furbished this rifle, and I may have wound the carrier slightly too much.

J.Baker
09-16-2016, 02:27 AM
Since you had it apart I'm guessing you probably didn't get the spring tension for the cartridge carrier right when you put it back together. I'm not a 99 expert though, so you might want to wait for a more educated opinion.

Flintlock28
09-16-2016, 11:44 AM
yeah, this is my first 99, so I'm not sure about it either. it's not that big of a deal, but I would like to know if it's normal to have to pre-rotate the carrier when first loading. The AGI video I followed recommended about one full turn of tension, but stated that it might require more. Hope somebody chimes in.

thanx

Old No7
09-16-2016, 01:12 PM
I had disassembled and cleaned the rotary mag on my late 30's vintage F, and I don't have to fiddle with it to load. You should try it with more tension to see if that helps. Keeping the muzzle safe (as I'm sure you do) you should also "top it off" and fully load it, does the counter work OK when ejecting shells? That might help give you an idea if it is over- or under-wound for tension.

Good luck.

Old No7

Flintlock28
09-16-2016, 05:33 PM
I'm thinking I have the tension set slightly too tight....i.e. the carrier wants to return home too strongly, so if i reduce the tension one less "stop", I may be alright.

KeithNyst
09-16-2016, 09:08 PM
I always start loading the first cartridge by holding the tip up a bit higher than the base and press down on the case near the bottom of the cartridge; seems to work better on the first round.

Flintlock28
09-24-2016, 01:17 PM
Will try that.