PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Boyd stock -Centerfeed "3rd gen"

glockeyed
07-31-2010, 08:19 AM
has anyone done this? when i ordered it i knew i would have to move the screw hole, don't remember reading the rest. especially the part in bold.

The 3rd generation center-feed actions can be fit to our 2nd generation stocks with minor alterations. The gap of the front of the mag well will need to be “blocked” (front to back) to hold the steel magazine frame in the correct position. There will need to be a flat spot inlet to accept the rear l-shaped tab, with attention to the depth as this is a bearing surface for the action. On short action 3rd generations the front escutcheon hole needs to be enlarged so screw hole location can be moved forward approx. a 1/16th of an inch. Woodworking gunsmithing experience is suggested when converting to the 3rd generation guns.

Axtell3
07-31-2010, 08:36 AM
I recently did a long action, and to do work used a dremel, with what looks like a drum grinder. the end is flat, so cut the spot for the tab that holds the magazine in place, a round cutter to inlet for the tang.
Just take it slow.
If you have the original stock, it will be obvious what should be done.
Enjoy, especially the shooting after customising your toy!

tj66
07-31-2010, 09:21 AM
I've done a couple of them. It's not too bad, just take your time, if you take too much out you can build it up with devcon while bedding it. Good luck!

hotbrass
07-31-2010, 12:36 PM
Measure twice. Cut once.

I have done a long and short action centerfeed actions in boyd stocks, which are two completely different procedures. But it is not difficult.

Bed and pillar bed the long action first then fit the magazine. For the short action, bed the action then fit the magazine and pillar bed the action.

glockeyed
07-31-2010, 04:45 PM
i think i have got it, but my action screws are too short.

Axtell3
08-01-2010, 08:06 AM
That's true. they're 1/4x 28 bolts. just need to rummage at the local hardware or auto parts till you find them. then cut to the proper length.

jlrathke
08-01-2010, 10:19 AM
i think i have got it, but my action screws are too short.

You can order the proper length screws from Brownells for a couple bucks each.

jlrathke

glockeyed
08-01-2010, 04:03 PM
thanks for the pep talks guys. found some bolts at the local ACE.

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album533/savage12fv_02.sized.jpg
http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/album533/savage12fv_06.sized.jpg

i still need to sand the barrel channel to FF it more, but its back together and cycles rounds. can't wait till next range day.

time for a beer