PDA

View Full Version : Action Screws

jray57
07-31-2010, 08:14 AM
I have a model 12 single shot action that I am thinking about putting in a BC Medalist tactical stock. I got the action from Northland and have a varmint weight Shilen chambered for 6xc coming. My question is where do I get the action screws? Is there a standard length or do I have to fabricate them(or have it done) myself? Any comments on stock selection will be appreciated to. The rifle will be used mostly for informal range work out to 500yds with a little hunting thrown in. Forgot to mention the action has 4.25 spacing.

rjtfroggy
07-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Almost any hardware store will have the screws, but you need to buy a little long then file down to fit.

dolomite_supafly
07-31-2010, 01:57 PM
The screws are 1/4-28. I ordered a bunch from McMaster Carr for various uses. I also ordered what is probably a lifetime supply of 6-32, 8-32, 10-32 set screws in various lengths from them at the same time. They ship really fast and I generally receive my order two days after I order.

The only problem is you can't order singles, only packs of 5, 10, 25, 50, or 100 depending on size and material.

Dolomite

Nor Cal Mikie
07-31-2010, 02:47 PM
What ever length you get, put a nut on the threads and run it up a bit before you try cutting them to length. That helps straighten out the bottom threads that you've ground off or cut. And make sure they get full length contact in the action threads. They can always be trimmed a little shorter.

Slowpoke Slim
08-01-2010, 11:29 AM
I called Sharpshooter Supply, they sent me a set in the mail, and a trigger guard, and a single shot follower (mine's a repeater). Had them in less than a week.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-01-2010, 12:34 PM
If you're working with a "custom" stock, one size fits all doesn't apply here.
If the screws are a little too short, you take the chance of pulling the threads out of the action. Get screws that are a little longer and cut them off at the proper lrngth to fit your application. It's easier to cut a screw a little shorter than try to rethread a stripped out screw hole in as action. ;) If you can still see threads in the screw hole after the bolts are fitted, the screws are too short. Should be flush with the top of the holes. Fit them once and be done with it. ;)

jray57
08-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I have a couple of 14-28 screws that I use when bedding, a socket head and a headless set screw to align the action with the center of the pillars. I just am not sure of the head design I need. I don't have the Medalist stock yet so I am not sure if a socket head would work. The OE screws have what looks like a countersink head on a wood screw but without the sharp edges. Maybe a button head?

Nor Cal Mikie
08-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Socket head allen works best. Will drop into the stock and you don't have to worry about tearing up the slot with a screw driver that's too big or too small. ;)
Rear of the trigger uses a wood screw type but the action screws are 1/4 28 with a machined type head. Stainless can be had to match the action and trigger guard or black as needed.

Quickshot
08-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I have the very stock you are talking about. You most assuredly will need action screws and a trigger guard. Luckly I had a steel trigger gaurd on a tupperware stock to use. Screws were another matter. Had to fabricate screws from the hardware store, although 1/4,28 the screw heads are another matter. Available screw heads had to be ground to fit. I guess half the fun is in overcoming the little incoveniences along the way. Quick