PDA

View Full Version : Investments

psharon97
09-11-2016, 08:09 PM
Which do you fellas think would be a wiser investment: investing in older guns such as colt pythons and king cobras and older smith and wesson gen 1 - 3 revolvers, or investing in the stock markets? Thoughts anyone?

Hemi45
09-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Less volatility in snake guns but the "buy low" ship sailed a long time ago.

LongRange
09-12-2016, 08:08 AM
the stock market.

yobuck
09-12-2016, 09:56 AM
the stock market.

Id agree, Provided, you pay very close attention, preferably manage your own, so as not to have your lunch eaten by others who earn their way by buying and selling (for you).

LongRange
09-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Agree 100%...I lost $35k outta my 401 in "09" because of a crapy investor...my fault for not paying attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
09-13-2016, 12:08 AM
I lost double that 15 years ago. I didn't give them the chance in 09. Get a trading account and learn how to invest with $1000. When you have you buy/sell strategy down give it a whirl. Make sure the stock you buy has liquidity.

Dennis
09-13-2016, 12:44 AM
Id agree, Provided, you pay very close attention, preferably manage your own, so as not to have your lunch eaten by others who earn their way by buying and selling (for you).

Definition of "Broker": someone or company that will make you broker, and or "financially broke".

Be careful, most are looking to line their own pockets with your money.

Buying land, or some type of rental property gets my vote. I do invest in stocks, but my ration is: 20% stocks - 80% commercial or personal real estate.

Jessa
09-13-2016, 05:29 AM
To me real estate seems a more reliable investment in a long term. It is not affected by economic turmoils as much as stock markets. Also short term rentals promise you decent returns - about 5-7% yields. Hiring a management company helps to avoid any problems . Its service costs 20−25% of the total rental revenue but the expenses will be rewarded with higher occupancy rates. So you just choose a one-bedroom apartment somewhere in the city center popular with tourists (Barcelona, for instance https://tranio.com/spain/catalonia/barcelona/ )

jpx2rk
09-13-2016, 08:21 PM
Both have risks, but not many investment strategies are "risk free". Diversity is the key, a little bit of this, a little bit of that, some of this, some of that to where you don't have all of your eggs in one basket, such as only in the oil industry, or financial stocks, or real estate investments, or firearms. You may lose ground ($) in some areas but you gain in others due to how the economy works, or if all of the investments lose, you don't lose the entire nest egg because of the diversification.

psharon97
09-14-2016, 12:52 AM
You guys are right about diversity. Right now I'm trying to pay back my student loans as fast as I can. I've paid back roughly 26000 in 3 years. Guess I just wanted an excuse to purchase more guns lol ;)

kkeene
09-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Watch out for fees that brokers (buy/sell) and mutual funds (maintaince) charge. Warren Buffet recommends Vanguard mutual fund, I agree except I went for the ETF rather than the mutual fund. Very low fees. Wait for a market pullback, buy and hold.

Schwab or TD Amertrade have good on-line interfaces and low fees.

If you have a 5 year or longer timeframe to invest you are very likley to come out ahead.

Good luck!

Keith

WV1951
09-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Agree 100%...I lost $35k outta my 401 in "09" because of a crapy investor...my fault for not paying attention.

Not sure I agree. The market bottomed March 9, 2009. No one has a crystal ball. Not even brokers and financial planners. I have gone through the 2000 dot.com bubble and the 2007-2009 credit bubble. Stayed with the market, diversified, and lived to tell about it. I manage my own.
BTW, I lost probably 8 times that.

LongRange
09-14-2016, 11:19 PM
So exactly what is it you don't agree with?

WV1951
09-15-2016, 09:14 AM
It sounded like you were blaming your investor, unless it was you, for which I then would not disagree. I would also qualify as a crappy investor as well, lol. Even the best advisors get caught when there is a major correction.

LongRange
09-15-2016, 10:23 AM
No in the end it was my fault for not keeping up with my money.

big honkin jeep
09-16-2016, 02:27 PM
I got some Tennesee oceanfront (well it was a couple of million years ago according to the fossils in the limestone) and a 3 legged mule for sale. Might even throw in a set of rings and bases off an old Savage package gun. You could definitely buy low.

(Sorry man I couldn't resist)

Road Rat
09-18-2016, 06:15 PM
IF you are in the stock market for the long haul you just pick good quality stocks and ride them out. I lost over 100K in 2008 and I made no changes in my portfolio; in a few years I had it all back and then some. Here is a chart of the market - do not let little dips cause you to sell while the market is down!!!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/eyorspt/Stock%20Market%20Trend_zps0eb1rzra.png (http://s18.photobucket.com/user/eyorspt/media/Stock%20Market%20Trend_zps0eb1rzra.png.html)

WeldNFool
10-30-2016, 06:42 AM
I do a little investing in stocks, amateur at best but have made a little money in several. Others are right however have to keep a watchful eye on them. Buy low, sell high has worked several times with me to raise more funds for investing. Long term and I look for companies that are strong, have a product that is needed. Auto parts is one I bought into as it has longevity. People buy new cars but more and more are keeping their cars longer, they need parts to keep them going. If I were to buy hard assets I think I would go more towards gold and silver than firearms. Firearms worth anything are already well known and cannot be had cheap unless you're one of those guys that just falls into awesome deals all of the time. There are several online trade sites and they do have a wealth of information as long as you are willing to put forth the effort to learn.