PDA

View Full Version : 111G long Action .223

SDMike
09-11-2016, 07:57 PM
Hello SavageShooters,

My Neighbor has an older stock 111G .223 long action gun that he never shoots. I'm completely new to Savage and have a few questions.

I will wind up replacing the barrel, stock, trigger, and add a scope in hopes of using it as a varmint hunter up to 600 yards max.

Also, his gun has no external magazine, would it be hard to change it over?

From what I read, there are some twists with the long action .223, Is it harder to find parts for them? or upgrade them?

Also, if you could please recommend a book or youtube series on DIY gunsmithing Savage weapons I would be very interested.

Lastly - Shot in the dark here, but because it is a "long Action" rifle could I later re-barrel and bolt to a bigger cartridge down the road?

Thanks for your time,

SDMike

Edited to correct auto-correct (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) of Salvage to Savage!

geargrinder
09-11-2016, 08:20 PM
Most likely, the magazine opening on the bottom of the action is only cut for a short action. So, without removing metal to open it up, you will have limited choices for bottom metal and will be limited to short action rounds as a repeater.

I have a similar rifle that started out as a 308 in a long action. I just run it single shot. It's been a bunch of things from 223 up to a 338 Edge. It's currently a 28 Nosler.

I prefer to work with long actions. The action screw spacing has never changed. All long action bolt heads and firing pins will interchange with each other. Stocks will interchange, especially since you have an older long action.

btw, we're fans of Savage and tend to be a bit sensitive when people call them Salvage. Hope that was just a typo. :)

RC20
09-12-2016, 04:33 PM
Ok, Will go with geargrinder on the Salvage thing but if it happens again......:blah:

Have to defer on a lot of your questions but gearngrinder has that answered, I am a mixed owner with one short and two longs (not sure what that make in Morse code)
I am also biased to long as I can make a short cartdige out of it single loading (my 308 barrel was on the BTH long action for a while)

Yes you can screw in any barrel you want up to a 458 Winchesters (do they make one up that high? Not a magnum guy, have to look). as long as its the small shank. !

Get the right bolt head and you can shoot it to!

The one DVD I found and liked a lot was the AGI (American Gun Smith Insisittue ) called Savage 10/116. Despite the numbers it covers it all Savages.

I think its a bit short in the barrel change end, maybe a tad misleading but as that's the critical but fairly easy part its fine.

they do a full trigger teardown and that is worth a lot to be able to ref to (I am going to buy it, I got it originally via Library, actually before I joined up here and it covered what I wanted overall and I had a couple of U Tube on the various barrel change philosophy as well as barrel vice vs action wrench (I am an action wrench guy)

Good one on bolt teardown so it covers the odds bits and pieces and all are down to the last screw and not on a messed up work bench (I saw some U tubes that made me cringe not to mention the guy who did his on a pad that had parts breakdown for another gun on it, sure hard to find that spring and pin in that!