PDA

View Full Version : Wet Tumbling

Pages : 1 [2] 3

J.Baker
09-14-2016, 11:57 PM
You can get pins in various diameters from industrial sites that specialize in tumbling media.

Wasn't referring to the slotted end caps for the tumbler tub (though they will fall through those as well), but rather the slots in the Frankfort Arsenal rotary media separator.

On the stuck pins, yes a small screwdriver will pop them free IF you catch them before you embed them into the inside base of the case when swedging the primer pockets on .223's - thus my recommendation to do that prep before tumbling as a precautionary measure.

No dehydrator and really don't see the need to spend money on a dryer of any sort when nature and a little patience does the trick.

adammiddagh
09-15-2016, 09:51 AM
Patience? What's that?

LongRange
09-17-2016, 06:32 PM
dry cases in 5 minutes...

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1448419569.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1448419569.jpg.html)

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1448419586.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1448419586.jpg.html)

Hector
09-17-2016, 07:33 PM
I have to assume that the air can only escape from the primer pockets. That's pretty cool.

LongRange
09-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Mostly...the peg board top does come off but the weight of the brass holds it in place and you just use low on the drier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m12lrs
09-17-2016, 08:31 PM
dry cases in 5 minutes...

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1448419569.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1448419569.jpg.html)

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1448419586.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1448419586.jpg.html)

I like it. I use a hair dryer too but my system is crude compared to that. But it is fast.

SidecarFlip
09-17-2016, 10:30 PM
Wasn't referring to the slotted end caps for the tumbler tub (though they will fall through those as well), but rather the slots in the Frankfort Arsenal rotary media separator.

On the stuck pins, yes a small screwdriver will pop them free IF you catch them before you embed them into the inside base of the case when swedging the primer pockets on .223's - thus my recommendation to do that prep before tumbling as a precautionary measure.

No dehydrator and really don't see the need to spend money on a dryer of any sort when nature and a little patience does the trick.

I haven't run any 223's in years. I must have 5000 primed and sized cases on hand and another 5K loaded. I run 308's, 300 WM's, 338 Lapua, 44 RM's, 460 S&W's and some nine's. I have never swedged a primer pocket in 40 years. I cut them with a 40 degree countersink, quick and easy. I like to buy (when I can get it) Federal LC Match brass cases and when I can I buy a load. Those get the countersink in the primer pockets. Maybe 5 seconds a case at most. I always have a few machines (lathes) with idle time, I own a machine and fabrication shop...

You live in the same climate I do, in fact you don't live far from me (I'm 16 miles north and 10 miles west of Toledo) so in the wintertime. natural outside drying on the deck is outside freezing... Besides, I like to 'borrow' my wife's dehydrator, it upsets her and after 32 years I have to 'upset' her once in a while....

Not familiar with the FA media separator, I bought one at Cabelas on sale. Cabelas is my neighbor. Just close enough to cost me a bundle.:p

Sometime if you feel adventurous, shoot me a PM and come on up, I have a private 300 yard range in the back on my property, complete with covered shooting benches and a backstop of 1/2" high strength steel plate with 6 feet of clay in front of it. I'm set up for long guns, archery and pistols and have reloading facilities within 50 feet of the benches.... and of course a fridge stocked with suitable beverages.

Savage and Smith and Wesson owners always welcome.

SidecarFlip
09-17-2016, 10:58 PM
I like it. I use a hair dryer too but my system is crude compared to that. But it is fast.

Thats not a bad idea but I'd need a whole lot more holes. When I Wet Media tumble, I go for quantity and the FA tumbler will hold a couple hundred 308 cases so a lot more holes are in order....

I spy a couple dirty pockets too....lol Get yourself a packet of jewelers mix from Flea-bay an ounce is plenty and add that. That will get those pockets all nice and pretty. Pins are great, tiny balls are better (in pockets).....

Rich
09-18-2016, 06:40 AM
Interesting observation regarding "fresher" ammo, M12lrs.

I recap my 223 brass, wet tumble, and store until ready to load. Then neck size only what I'm going to load and shoot within a couple of days.

Seems to work better to produce small groups. If I shoot the loaded ammo several weeks later, it doesn't seem to produce as good of groups.

I've read that worked brass tends to age harden fairly quickly, and while my experience is in no way a scientific approach, my confidence is higher that it will shoot to point of aim more consistently.

BTW: I am shooting a bolt gun, not a semi-auto, so no full length sizing is necessary.

Quick question: What is your "homemade dryer"? Mine is a cardboard box with a hair dryer stuffed into the side. Been using it for 30 some years and works great. Can get up to 170 degrees, with plenty of air flow, so dries the brass quickly. 5 minutes is about average.

Texas10 is on to something here..... Higher Confidence

Years ago David Tubb once remarked he liked his ammo fresh and always loaded as close to match time as possible....

As a past High Power shooter I once experimented with loading ammo well in advance but with a long OAL. Then the night before would run them through the seating die to the proper length. I would always feel a slight "crack" as the bullet began to seat deeper. You won't find that same "crack" when you seat a fresh round deeper.

My own results were that my scores remained the same with ammo fresh or old,,,,,,but I still seat them a little long until its time to use

SidecarFlip
09-18-2016, 12:26 PM
According to metallurgy 101. the structure of any metal only changes with the introduction of heat and by cold working. Cases in waiting are inert basically. The only degradation would be tarnish which is oxidation of the outer surface.

I think it's more a 'mind' thing than anything else.

Robinhood
09-18-2016, 01:03 PM
You don't think there is micro corrosion going on here? Corrosion causing a bond to take place? I wonder why most of the great shooters that wet tumble lubricate the neck or use a dirty/carbon filled brush to put a film between the copper and the brass?

LongRange
09-18-2016, 02:26 PM
You don't think there is micro corrosion going on here? Corrosion causing a bond to take place? I wonder why most of the great shooters that wet tumble lubricate the neck or use a dirty/carbon filled brush to put a film between the copper and the brass?

and why i use a nylon brush with graphite as the final step in my cleaning process.

i will also have to agree with tubbs about loading as close to using your ammo as possible...i dont keep hand loaded ammo around longer than 2 weeks and even at 2 weeks my ESs are higher than with fresh loaded ammo...ive tested this myself shot over a magnet speed.

SidecarFlip
09-18-2016, 03:51 PM
It's Magneto Speed btw. We use LabRadar here. more accurate and repeatable.

LongRange
09-18-2016, 03:57 PM
Thanks officer spell check...it's the auto correct on my phone.

No need to spend $600+ bucks on something I only use a couple of times a year the magneto speed is accurate enough.

SidecarFlip
09-18-2016, 04:26 PM
Colonel Spell Check reporting....lol

I don't post with a cell phone. One. I'm against texting and 2, my finger tips are too fat. Least my I-phone is free, It's a company phone. Problem is, I own the company...

LongRange
09-18-2016, 05:05 PM
I only use the phone because I'm to lazy to walk 15' to the computer lol.

SidecarFlip
09-18-2016, 10:58 PM
I only use the phone because I'm to lazy to walk 15' to the computer lol.

You are probably a lot younger than I am as well... I have trouble seeing the numbers (and letters) on my I phone anyway.. Why I drop big bucks on high end optics, I need all the help I can get My wife about shat her pants when I bought a pair of Swarovski EL Range 10-40's this summer.

Texas10
09-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Today I pulled out some rounds that I loaded in May (of this year) into FC brass that had been SS pin tumbled clean. Neck sized only and a 75 grain A-Max seated to the lands.

When I put them through the seating die to seat the bullet back about .015, each and every one made a distinct and loud "snap" sound as I pushed the bullet deeper.

Fuel for the idea that neck tension increases with time?

Robinhood
09-19-2016, 11:09 PM
Fuel for the idea that neck tension increases with time? Again, I believe this to be a chemical bonding, brass and copper are known to have this trait

Scott Evans
09-20-2016, 12:16 AM
Mild galvanic corrosion. Copper and brass in contact, along with an electrolyte, which can be trace water vapor or chemical.