PDA

View Full Version : 300 WSM / 223 Rem Switch Barrel?

strykervc
07-30-2010, 10:25 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of making my model 11 300WSM into a switch barrel... I was thinking of getting a 25-300WSM barrel and switching between that and the 300WSM, but I would rather have a varmint rifle for groundhogs and coyotes and then my 300WSM for bear and deer.

So far my shopping list includes:
Pac-Nor 300WSM Barrel
Pac-Nor 223 Rem Barrel
Stockade Woodchuck Stock, money saver
Stockade Recoil Lug
Timney Replacement Trigger
Appropriate Go and No-Go Gauges from PT&G
Wheeler Nut and Action Wrenches
A Replacement Bolt from PT&G for the 223 (I know you can switch the bolt head, but would it be easier to just have a 2nd bolt?)

So far i am just thinking the 223 would have to be single shot, the action is a staggered feed and i haven't seen any easy solutions as to switching magazines.

Any suggestions? Am I on the right track, or am I all jacked up?

geargrinder
07-30-2010, 11:01 PM
It would be cheaper to get a factory replacement bolt from midway.

Is your WSM crf? If so, you'll have to remove the standing ejector every time as well. Might consider changing it to push feed as well to speed up the swaps.

I'd also skip the wheeler nut wrench. Get the stainless Mcree for $25. I think Northlander sells them.

The SSS trigger is better than the Timney.

bootsmcguire
07-31-2010, 12:12 AM
+1 on the wrench from Northand. I bought one and love it.

strykervc
07-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Geargrinder,

My 300 WSM is a CRF would switching the entire bolt out for a replacement bolt set up for 223 take care of the standing ejector problem?

Thanks,

Strykervc

358Hammer
07-31-2010, 10:40 PM
I like just swapping my bolts as it is a now kind of thing. Changing everything out takes a bit longer.

Then I changed my mind about all of the above and bought a complete gun for every and all occasions plus a couple for those occasions I might have forgotten about.

Neal

geargrinder
07-31-2010, 10:59 PM
Geargrinder,

My 300 WSM is a CRF would switching the entire bolt out for a replacement bolt set up for 223 take care of the standing ejector problem?

Thanks,

Strykervc

Nope. The standing ejector is held in by the pin that retains the trigger assembly.

You'd need to remove it to use your 223 bolt.

trappst
07-31-2010, 11:02 PM
Much easier to just buy a complete push feed bolt. The standing ejector on the CRF actions is held in place by the cross pin that holds the trigger group on. Push it out about half way and the ejector will fall out.

It's that simple.

For poo and grins, what on earth would be wrong with a 85g Nosler BT (varmint) shot from the 25-300 WSM for the yotes and chucks? ;D

If you look in the classifieds, I just sold an action just like the one you're contemplating. WSM action, two bolts, mag boxes/followers, etc. That action started life as a 270 WSM, then went to 20 Vartarg (never shot that barrel) and then it was a 6mm Ackley Improved for a short time.

strykervc
08-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Hammer,

I would love to have a rifle for all the occasions I could come up with im my head ;) but for right now I'm trying to keep the budget under control!

Trappst, now you have me wondering... I do think it would be ugly though!

So, it sounds like I should just convert the 300 wsm to push-feed. Would I be able to do that with a push-feed bolt head or would I have to get a replacement bolt?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Strykervc

358Hammer
08-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Your desire is one of the main reasons I liked the Striker from the beginning. 204 Ruger to the 460 Weatherby. No special tools that cost an arm and a leg. Change everything over in a few minutes and NO machine work involved.

Buying rifle guys unfired takeoff barrels and cut and crown to my handgun length needs for $50.-$125. in most cases.

Changing boltheads is just as easy as changing barrels. In my case I just have to remember to change the firing pin when switch to and from some calibers. 223 to 300WSM requires a different firing pin assembly. I haven't done it so I do not know if one can turn the firing pin stems in to shorten the firing pin enough to make the conversion.

Neal

Blue Avenger
08-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I use the same pin for my .308 and 7 mag, but then I had a mag bolt head made to match my .308 head.