PDA

View Full Version : Summer shooting/Loading 223

possum1
07-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Just curious, anyone shooting 223 with extruded powder's ie; Varget, H4895 and such, do you work up a different load for high temp/humidity shooting or stay with the same all year long. Do you see any difference in the accuracy compared to the weather change's ?

slaroy
07-31-2010, 10:16 AM
I have been loading IMR 4895 in my 223 for a couple of years. I have not noticed a difference in accuracy from season to season, but my point of impact does change, although very little.

I do not have a chrono, so I can't tell you what the difference in velocities are. I like to test my loads in the summer so there are no surprises with increases of pressure etc.

The load I have been using is not a max load, perhaps it gives me a little more "leeway" when changes in temp. occur. The most adjustment I have ever made from summer to winter was a couple of clicks in my scope to adjust my zero, and the grouping/ accuracy stays reliable all year round for me.

BrentWin
07-31-2010, 03:35 PM
I keep it the same, summer and winter and have about the same experiences as slaroy as far as accuracy and POI shift.

I do almost all of my load development in the summertime, so I know that pressure will be at its highest.