PDA

View Full Version : Light scratch at muzzle

Mthomas90
09-08-2016, 12:14 AM
Like the title says, I have a new to me McGowan barrel that I just found a light scratch right inside the crown at the muzzle. I can feel it very lightly with a smaller diameter jag. The scratch probably goes 1/8 or so around the i.d, it does cross a rifling. I am hoping to shoot it soon sometime, but I wanted to ask for opinions on what I should expect out of and if it will need to be crowned a little deeper or something. This was supposed to be my 1200 yard 300 wm, hopefully this barrel can still make that happen.
This is a project gun I have been working on for a while now, it was a barrel i bought used with supposedly only 4 shots down it. I had it rechambered in 300 wm, I must not have inspected it enough before having it chambered.

I don't have any pictures of the scratch and I don't think I would be able to get a picture of it anyway.

Michael

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Robinhood
09-08-2016, 12:22 AM
It's always good to take some pictures and contact the manufacture for guidance.

m12lrs
09-08-2016, 05:17 AM
I would just shoot it and see how it does. I have added a link to an interesting article about rifle crowns.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/rifle-crown-1.php

RC20
09-08-2016, 03:27 PM
It's always good to take some pictures and contact the manufacture for guidance.

Concur with Robin, quick check and that will send you in direction of shooting or sending it back.

RC20
09-08-2016, 03:38 PM
I would just shoot it and see how it does. I have added a link to an interesting article about rifle crowns.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/rifle-crown-1.php

Thank you, that is truly a mind twister. Still go with Robin but if they say shoot it I would.

Mthomas90
09-08-2016, 04:02 PM
It's a used barrel, so there is no sending it back.
I was looking for some quick opinions before I had time to shoot it.

Robinhood
09-08-2016, 04:42 PM

The devil is in the details.

SlowTrigger
09-08-2016, 05:43 PM
I was looking for some quick opinions before I had time to shoot it.

I wouldn't worry about it until you've had a chance to shoot it. It could be nothing. Only way to know for sure is to head to the range and shoot some groups. I've read some post on this forum before where folks have had similar concerns and it turned out the rifle did fine. Just shoot it (and let us know how it goes).

ST