PDA

View Full Version : custom barrel nut and recoil lug

wal0001
09-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Putting together my fourth savage rifle. I posted this in another thread, but thought it might get more response here. In my other three rifles I used a custom recoil lug and barrel nut and all three of these rifles 2 with custom barrels, shoot 1/2 moa or better -- probably would be better, but I am sure there is operator error.

I am putting together my 308 for hunting, have a custom barrel and was thinking about skimping on the barrel nut and recoil lug and just use what the factory provided. I have found that by bedding the recoil area that I do gain some accuracy.

Pros or cons? -- I reload and plan to use this for hunting -- say probably up to 300 yards.

Thanks.

jonesturf
09-07-2016, 08:13 PM
I'm sure you will be fine. I'm a firm believer 95% of mechanical accuracy from a rifle is the barrel. The rest doesn't matter nearly as much as you would think.

The most accurate rifle/barrel I ever owned was a savage with a Bartlein that wasn't trued and boy was it out of whack.

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

RC20
09-08-2016, 03:44 PM
Yep, I got one for a harder recoiling 30-06 I built.

am using what they came with for now for the rest, lower recoil 308.

Certainly for a hunting rifle existing is fine.

Keith_A
09-11-2016, 12:46 AM
Since you are putting on a custom barrel and will have the gun apart anyway, take a few minutes and check the recoil lug to ensure that it is flat in the area around the barrel / nut. I've read a number of reports about factory recoil lugs not being uniform in thickness around the barrel / nut.

Robinhood
09-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Use a fine hone to clean off the proud metal on the face.
Factory recoil lugs often vary by .015.[ edit: out of flatness (parallel)]

FW Conch
09-11-2016, 12:54 PM
^ This ^ factory stuff is plenty accurate for hunting accuracy.