PDA

View Full Version : New build

wal0001
09-07-2016, 11:22 AM
I have a 308 with spotter barrel and this rifle after bedding only managed about moa("1" groups at 100 yards). Anyway I have a new barrel from NSS and was about to assemble. My question is since I am bedding action and recoil lug, should I purchase a new custom barrel nut and recoil lug? I would love with custom ammo to get half inch groups, but also don't want to spend extra cash if I can advoid it. For past builds I did this and do have very accurate rifles. The only reason I ask is my buddy just put on a new barrel and bedded and his 30-06 shoots touching groups. Probably want be shooting much more than 300 yards.

Thanks

darkker
09-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Difficult to say with the info.
You were only able to achieve 1" groups, How?
We talking factory ammo, how many brands, types? Or reloads? If so, how many rounds in a group, how many powders and charges, etc?

To the precision nut question, that comes down to theory and marketing voodoo.

So what is the purpose of the nut? It is to lock the barrel position and maintain headspace; meaning that we are talking about a simple lock nut.
My opinion is that we aren't talking about a very soft cast part, and honestly we aren't talking about neurosurgery. So CAN an internal stress imparted on the system from an "off-kilter" nut affect things? Perhaps.
DOES it affect them in a repeatable fashion? No.

My very long range rifle, has a "crooked" nut and an ER Shaw barrel bought on clearance for $180; came with a tight spot near the muzzle. That rifle is capable of MOA at 1700, I've done it with another member, and posted about it. The rifle isn't the "problem" with accuracy. Perhaps someone like Rob01 could tell the difference, but I cannot.

If you like the idea of being harmonious and having a precision nut, by all means do it!! But don't think for a minute that it is required for it.

wal0001
09-07-2016, 04:49 PM
Thanks-- I reload and this is my hunting rifle. I have two friends who shoot bench competitions and neither of them could figure why this one savage out of the four I have would spray bullets. We figured it just had to be the barrel as one guy reset the head space for me. Think I will put this together and see how it shoots!

psharon97
09-08-2016, 09:39 AM
I've never purchased a replacement barrel nut. The only reason I would is to replace the smooth nut. Recoil lug is another story, I always replace the barrel nut. About the best factory ammo that shoots great, from what I've heard, is 6.5 creedmoor. That's the direction I would go in.

handirifle
09-10-2016, 01:12 PM
Your buddies call 1" groups "spraying" bullets? They live in a fantasy land. Was that one group that got 1" or is it consistant? Seriously for a hunting rifle other than prarrie dogs what do yo need it tighter for? Can YOU shoot better than that? Not questioning your abilities just asking what we all ask ourselves. In a hunting scenario 3 MOA is about as good as many can do. Not because we are bad shooters but the situation dictates what rest we use, how much time we have for the shot, range, wind etc.

I have shot deer when hunting in every situation. Sitting, relaxed with rifle on knees (180yd) right hand shot )I shoot left), twisted with deer about 150 det turn behind me (5yd shot), and 50yd standing off hand shot. Did the bullet hit exactly where I wanted it too? Not always, but those 3 scenarios resulted in 3 dead bucks one shot each. Shooting tiny groups from a bench is important, for practice and familiarity but ONLY shooting from a bench isn't tellng you how good of a shot YOU are. Paper doesn't bleed.

I want my rifles as accurate as possible too, but I would be more than satisfied with 1" groups for a deer rifle.

But that is me. If you got those with factory ammo, spend your money on ammo and enjoy hunting.

wal0001
09-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Thanks Hadirifle.. yeah we do a lot of shooting at paper and of course a lot of good natured bragging, so I wanted to see how accurate I could get this. We tee off at the 300 yard range and this makes for a lot of fun. My friends have the basic rifles(Remington, tikka, browning) and I just did not know how much a custom recoil lug\ barrel nut helps, and how much is hype. Not sure if I will take this rifle out to the 600 yard range.

I am older and have taken my share of deer and from every imaginable angle(even left handed around a tree and over a limb, even one year while relieving myself in the bush!)But for now, sort of mellowed a little and just trophy hunt. Have not shot one between my legs yet, I guess I will put that on my bucket list.

Thanks again.

WV1951
09-13-2016, 10:12 PM
Have not shot one between my legs yet, I guess I will put that on my bucket list.

By all means if you do, be sure to hold the barrel low.

RC20
09-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Your buddies call 1" groups "spraying" bullets? They live in a fantasy land. Was that one group that got 1" or is it consistant? Seriously for a hunting rifle other than prarrie dogs what do yo need it tighter for? Can YOU shoot better than that? Not questioning your abilities just asking what we all ask ourselves. In a hunting scenario 3 MOA is about as good as many can do. Not because we are bad shooters but the situation dictates what rest we use, how much time we have for the shot, range, wind etc.

I have shot deer when hunting in every situation. Sitting, relaxed with rifle on knees (180yd) right hand shot )I shoot left), twisted with deer about 150 det turn behind me (5yd shot), and 50yd standing off hand shot. Did the bullet hit exactly where I wanted it too? Not always, but those 3 scenarios resulted in 3 dead bucks one shot each. Shooting tiny groups from a bench is important, for practice and familiarity but ONLY shooting from a bench isn't tellng you how good of a shot YOU are. Paper doesn't bleed.

I want my rifles as accurate as possible too, but I would be more than satisfied with 1" groups for a deer rifle.

But that is me. If you got those with factory ammo, spend your money on ammo and enjoy hunting.

Pretty much my take, I don't hunt anymore so the small holes in paper are the goal.

If you do hunt, I have yet to find an animal with a target on it so I never knew exactly where the bullet went and where I wanted it to.

IN all cases but one (long story with hard lessons, we did get it in the end) , the bullet went close enough to where it was supposed to be drop kill or 20 ft and done kill.

scuzzy
09-15-2016, 03:07 PM
so many variables already present can contribute to accuracy being 1moa (which isn't bad) as compared to 0.5moa. You can do action screw torquing, multiple load tests with charge and seating depth differences...if you have the time, i would do all that before buying more parts, that may or may not help.