PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with an older 110

EVOC ONE
07-30-2010, 01:04 PM
I recently picked up a used 110 in .30-06. The rifle is in good shape and seemed to function well when I bought it. It was in need of a good cleaning and removal of minor surface rust. I have not fired it yet.

I removed the action from the stock and gave it a good cleaning using Hoppes #9. There was a couple areas of small very, minor rust mostly on the magazine spring and the receiver all of which was easily removed. The action itself was grimed from oil, residue, etc. I sprayed it with Breakfree then, with the assistance of dental picks, used a cleaning patch in any area of the trigger mechanism I could get into.

The problem: After reassembly, the bolt will not lock down completely and is hard to lift to open the action. It is binding somewhere. Sometimes, upon dry firing, as the trigger is released the bolt will drop down a bit. Other times I cannot get the trigger to dry fire at all.

I did not dis-assemble the bolt nor did I touch any screw on the trigger mechanism outside of cleaning it.

Any help would be most appreciated.

???

dolomite_supafly
07-30-2010, 01:13 PM
I would get some non chlorinated break cleaner then hose the trigger and bolt down. It will probably take a couple of cans to get all the grime out. After that I would go back and lightly oil the areas of wear.

It almost sounds like you knocked some of the crud loose and it got wedged some where it shouldn't be.

Dolomite

rjtfroggy
07-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Loosen up the action screws they are too tight binding the bolt.

Jeff518
07-30-2010, 02:08 PM
possible you switched the action screws, one may be a few thousands longer, or the rear one is over tightened

flatshooter
07-30-2010, 02:28 PM
take the bolt apart.... and check it out.

Blue Avenger
07-30-2010, 02:38 PM
wood stock? Pull the trigger back and check to see if the bolt release/ sear moves free or is dragging on the side of the stock. also check that the trigger it self is free moving, not dragging on the bottom of the guard or inside of the stock. parts slowed from rubbing can cause some of the problems. then loosen the rear screw and see if anything changes.
tight screw or action shifted in the stock a bit.

EVOC ONE
07-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Thank you all for the quick replies.

It is a wood stock. The rifle is an old Stevens 110 with a fold down rear sight.

Seems it may have been the action screws to tight and/or the action not reinstalled in the stock correctly. I removed the screws and action then replaced them, being careful to make sure the action was aligned in the stock as it seemed it should be. There was some play in the wood stock. I found I could move the action just enough to mis-align the screw holes. Was very careful not to overtighten the action screws.

It worked! The bolt functions as it did, everthing seems right and smooth.

Many, many thanks for the prompt and excellent assistance.

Here is a picture:

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o77/EVOCONE/PICT0988.jpg

Nor Cal Mikie
07-30-2010, 03:55 PM
Sounds like it might be a good time to think about bedding the stock?? ;)

Smokey262
07-30-2010, 06:31 PM
The plastic front escutcheon is a POS.

Install pillars and bed the action, no more problems ever again.

hailstone
07-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Nice looking rifle especially with the wooden stock. Really out shines the POS plastic stocks being used today.