PDA

View Full Version : stock help

Pajasonc
09-05-2016, 09:54 AM
Hi new member here with a few questions. I recently purchased a savage model 16 in 300 wsm. This is the older staggered feed model with accutrigger and 4.25 screw spacing. Was originally wanting to put a different recoil pad on the rifle but the factory stock is not stiff at all and I started thinking instead of replacing the pad and still having a subpar stock maybe I should put a new stock on it as well. Looked at boyd's and the hogue options but have seen a lot of 4.4 models on places like ebay for pretty cheap. Don't know if I am going to keep this gun for sure and don't want to spend much and then not get my money back out of it. So question is can I convert a blind mag well inline feed with 4.4 spacing to a 4.25 by simply filling the old hole and drilling a new one. Numrich has 4.4 laminated checkered stocks for 100 less than the 4.25 models at boyd's(I would like to have the stock checkered which puts boyds over 200). thanks in advance.

jfksc
09-05-2016, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't try that. I'd save the money needed to do it correctly with a stock designed and built for the correct screw spacing. Saving to get the nicer stock will increase the chances that you will be happy with the outcome and not want to wind up selling it, and if you do end up selling it you will get much better resale for a rifle in a nice stock. Just my opinion of course but I tend to follow the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. I have a boyds walnut stock with checkering on one of my rifles and will tell you that it's s very nice setup that you'll be happy with once you pillar bed it. The Pachmyr decelerator pad is the way to go. Maybe a bit more than you were planning on spending but still s great deal for a semi-custom stock. In the mean time that factory plastic stock, while not pretty, will get the job done just the same.

olddav
09-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Yes you can fill in the existing hole and redrill where needed. Now as far as will the mag well be in the right place, I have no idea so you might want to check on that. While I do like quality I am not against getting a little creative when it comes to odd products. You are only going to get so much for a Savage intermidate action regardless of condition, bells or whistles. Good luck and let us know how it turns out regardless.

hereinaz
09-08-2016, 02:11 PM
I bought the laminated stock from Numerich, and intend to do the same thing you proposed, with a variation.

If you get the same one I have now, it has pillars in it already.

So, my plan is to mill the old pillar out, and size it into a larger rectangle hole that can accept a bushing with holes for both action hole spacing. I'll keep the stock, and sell any actions with the factory stuff it came to me with.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk