PDA

View Full Version : Shotshell Reloaders

Appleseed
09-04-2016, 12:34 PM
May get back to loading for 12 & 20. Any suggestions for a single stage press? Looking at the Lee, don't need speed, just tight packing and reliable crimp for semi-auto use.

Rick_W
09-04-2016, 12:48 PM
I own and am a huge fan of the MEC Sizemaster. It has a "Power Ring" collet resizer that resizes the base.

Shooting Cowboy Action Shooting, we go through a minimum of 20 rounds per match. Not everyone reloads so they'll give their brass away.

It's good to resize the base when you're using hulls from other people.

LHitchcox
09-04-2016, 02:25 PM
I have a couple of MEC Jrs, a Pacific 105 and a Lee. All work fine but the MECs and Pacific are easier to load on. The Lee has no adjustments, so you have to get the feel of everything. Only bought one new press. The others were bought used either locally or off EBAY.

justinp61
09-06-2016, 12:19 AM
Buy a Pacific 266, best single stage press ever made IMO.

bc160
09-06-2016, 04:52 AM
Without a doubt the mec size master is the one I would look at. I loaded thousands of shells on one for trapshooting, I then upgraded to progressive presses in about every brand along the way. The Mec progressive is the way to go as well if your looking for volume loading.

Appleseed
09-06-2016, 08:13 AM
I threw away two old presses, think they were old MEC's, impossible to find parts. I shoot semi-auto in both 20 and 12, 3 inch mostly. Need a press that will handle those. may get Lee for both and use the powder dispenser I use for rifle loading. That would be fast, and not worry with a shot and powder hopper to be changed.

Iowa Fox
09-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Lots of folks have given up on reloading shotshells. There are a lot of used Mecs out there for sale cheap because everyone thinks its to expensive to load shotshells. Just don't buy one so old parts are no longer available. I started loading shotshells in 1963 and plan to continue to the end.

adammiddagh
09-06-2016, 10:04 PM
I found a very used mec sizemaster on ebay. Poorly listed, missing the primer tray cover, and maybe 1 or 2 other pieces. Got it at a great price and love it. Relatively easy to switch between 2-3/4 and 3". Changing gauges would be more involved, to the point of having a separate press for each gauge.

J.Baker
09-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Lead shot has come back down a little, but as long as a flat of cheap target loads is only a few bucks more than a 25# bag of #8 shot I'll stick to shooting store bought shells.

adammiddagh
09-09-2016, 07:54 PM
But...
If you don't count your time.
Get lead for free.
And make your own shot.

You can turn out ahead. A little bit anyway.

243LPR
09-09-2016, 08:11 PM
If you're not out for volume and have the time the Lee Load-All is hard to beat. Back when my son and I would dove hunt we'd go through a couple boxes a night. I had a semi and he had the pump. All ran great.

Rick_W
09-11-2016, 07:47 PM
Lead shot has come back down a little, but as long as a flat of cheap target loads is only a few bucks more than a 25# bag of #8 shot I'll stick to shooting store bought shells.
I only reload shells for Cowboy Action Shooting.

We shoot the equivalent of Winchester AA Low Noise/Low Recoil Target loads. Factory loads average about $100 case. Even with the rebate offered earlier this year, I'd still be looking at $7-8 per box.

I can currently get a bag of shot for under $50 with tax. Not great, but every little bit helps.

Appleseed
09-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Have an ex-ordinance vet friend who taught me to reload. Offered me one of his seven shot shell presses for 12ga: $125. This one is the progressive Mec 650, oldie but goody. His disheveled basement is filled to the brim with arcane rifle and shotgun ammo, some calibers and shotgun chambering I didn't know existed; lead billets, powders, long gone boxes of factory ammo, collectable (?) rifle and shotgun cases, etc. Glad he only chews his cigars vs lighting up. And good thing he lives 1/2 mile from the volunteer fire department.

$125 seems a reasonable price for the 650 progressive.

2A Guy
10-19-2016, 02:47 PM
I traded a Lee Auto Prime to a gun club buddy for a Lee Load-all II. Having read some negative comments about the LAII, I didn't know what to expect, but I am impressed with it. While it's made with a lot of "plastic" that plastic is heavy duty (know of any guns or parts made of "plastic"?) and the press turns out many excellent reloads. I do limited shotshell loading (rifle and handgun is my thing) and am not looking to reload to save $, just for the fun of loading and tailoring loads as I like them. As far as I am concerned this is a press well worth the little cost that you will pay. It comes complete with all the powder and shot bushings which cost extra from other press makers. Try it and if you don't agree, I bet you could sell or trade it to someone who would find it ideal.

Rick_W
10-19-2016, 07:28 PM
I traded a Lee Auto Prime to a gun club buddy for a Lee Load-all II. Having read some negative comments about the LAII, I didn't know what to expect, but I am impressed with it. While it's made with a lot of "plastic" that plastic is heavy duty (know of any guns or parts made of "plastic"?) and the press turns out many excellent reloads. I do limited shotshell loading (rifle and handgun is my thing) and am not looking to reload to save $, just for the fun of loading and tailoring loads as I like them. As far as I am concerned this is a press well worth the little cost that you will pay. It comes complete with all the powder and shot bushings which cost extra from other press makers. Try it and if you don't agree, I bet you could sell or trade it to someone who would find it ideal.
The Load All II is a great little press for the occasional reloader, and I also know a few people that reload a couple hundred rounds a month it.

I won't knock the plastic. As you said, it spits out good reloads.

It is not as efficient to operate as some of the others, though. Reloading several boxes at a time, I felt I worked more with the LEE than with my current MEC Sizemaster.