PDA

View Full Version : 270 or 30-06?

Pages : 1 [2]

Boanerges
10-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Have you tried the 130 load out of your .30-06 for accuracy and felt recoil yet?
I suppose I would start and then go from there.
I too prefer to hunt alone. I live in north west Nebraska and there are more than a few pronghorn here. If you can make it happen to come out I can show you heaps of public and a few private places to hunt.
Though I do not know what out of state tags cost.

handirifle
10-23-2016, 01:07 AM
Boanerges

That is a sweet offer, and I might take you up on it, but doubt it would be this year. For you and JAsmith, I have NOT tried the 130's yet, but do have a couple boxes of the Barnes' TTSX's in 130 that I do plan on loading up. FYI, according to the Barnes data, with a 24" barrel, a 308 will duplicate the 270 velocities. I am sure a 277 bullet that is 130gr has a higher BC. The .308 Barnes, 130gr is .350 vs the 130 .277 TTSX BC is .392, so long range would be better. That is comparing apples to apples. Barnes does offer an LRX 129gr with a .463 BC, that would no doubt do a lot better.

Having said all that, I am sure the .308 dia version would do it quite well out to 300yds plus. More than enough for me.

Boanerges

When is goat season out there? Never hunted antelope before. I am sure I can find a way to scrounge the $$$ for tags. Somewhere :)

Boanerges
11-01-2016, 12:29 AM
Boanerges

That is a sweet offer, and I might take you up on it, but doubt it would be this year. For you and JAsmith, I have NOT tried the 130's yet, but do have a couple boxes of the Barnes' TTSX's in 130 that I do plan on loading up. FYI, according to the Barnes data, with a 24" barrel, a 308 will duplicate the 270 velocities. I am sure a 277 bullet that is 130gr has a higher BC. The .308 Barnes, 130gr is .350 vs the 130 .277 TTSX BC is .392, so long range would be better. That is comparing apples to apples. Barnes does offer an LRX 129gr with a .463 BC, that would no doubt do a lot better.

Having said all that, I am sure the .308 dia version would do it quite well out to 300yds plus. More than enough for me.

Boanerges

When is goat season out there? Never hunted antelope before. I am sure I can find a way to scrounge the $$$ for tags. Somewhere :)

Season dates
Archery: Aug. 20, 2016 – Dec. 31, 2016
Muzzleloader: Sept. 17, 2016 – Oct. 2, 2016
Firearm: Oct. 8, 2016 – Oct. 23, 2016
November late doe/fawn: Nov. 1, 2016 – Jan. 31, 2017
And http://outdoornebraska.gov/hunting/

I will gladly take or point you in the direction to hunt next year!

handirifle
11-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Every site I have looked at, so far, does not show permits available for firearm, non resident antelope. Do they even offer them? I know some states are limited in non res offerings. CA does not sell non res elk tags, for example.

Boanerges
11-03-2016, 01:12 AM
Every site I have looked at, so far, does not show permits available for firearm, non resident antelope. Do they even offer them? I know some states are limited in non res offerings. CA does not sell non res elk tags, for example.

Prairie goat tags are few and the sell out quick. I hunt for meat so I don't get concerned with buck only tags. And as a matter of fact I will be trying archery antelope next year, ought to be neat.
Keep the http://outdoornebraska.gov/hunting/ site handy for next year to watch for season/tap availability.

handirifle
11-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Are those private land game preserves?

handirifle
11-13-2016, 04:06 PM
I too, am a meat hunter. Here in CA deer are bucks only, mostly. There are some doe only draw tags but hard to get, and rare. Bucks are fork horn or better, and any legal buck is enough for me. If I had a choice between two, I would probably go for the larger one, body size, not antlers.

godale
12-11-2016, 09:36 PM
You can always get another rifle and have both I do.[emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yobuck
12-13-2016, 10:01 AM
Prairie goat tags are few and the sell out quick. I hunt for meat so I don't get concerned with buck only tags. And as a matter of fact I will be trying archery antelope next year, ought to be neat.
Keep the http://outdoornebraska.gov/hunting/ site handy for next year to watch for season/tap availability.

I discovered that's what those little shacks near the water holes are for when I asked about them.
That would require more patience than I'm capable of, and for sure id be wanting a scoped cross bow.

handirifle
01-10-2017, 12:41 AM
I had always shot an '06 until I got my first 243. AI cases do last longer,less stretching because there's less taper. I gained maybe 100fps with the AI.I'm pushing 75 Vmaxes over 3800 fps. I use Lapua brass and like to make it last as long as possible.

So I can ream my std barrel to AI, it just needs to be re-headspaced, right? Do they make AI gauges? I don't really go for the tape thing for headspacing.

handirifle
01-10-2017, 12:45 AM
How does the AI feed? Oops, I meant how WELL does it feed? Notice any difference?

RC20
01-11-2017, 04:22 PM
You might consider getting a 30-06 barrel in as heavy as you can pack and with a faster twist.?

1-12 (not sure how fast but its a 30 cal blank to start with and should be able to get upwards of 1-14 but that is a guess)

That would bias it to the smaller bullets. Shorter chamber to accommodate them

handirifle
01-12-2017, 01:27 AM
Those would be slower twists. Savage std is 1-10. Barrel change is a decision I would have to make after I actually load the 130's and try them out. Too many things getting in the way of loading and range time for me lately.

A slower twist would make for a faster bullet though, that is for sure. I think the newer M1A's come with 1-11.

JASmith
01-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Those would be slower twists. Savage std is 1-10. Barrel change is a decision I would have to make after I actually load the 130's and try them out. Too many things getting in the way of loading and range time for me lately.

A slower twist would make for a faster bullet though, that is for sure. I think the newer M1A's come with 1-11.
Definitely try the 130's before going to the expense and bother of a barrel change. They will take care of all deer quite niicely and are more easy on the shoulder than tthe heavier pills.

Regarding twist rate and attainable velocity, physics considerations do indeed suggest that a tiny bit more energy will be siphoned off into the kinetic energy of spinning. The same physics suggest that the resulting loss of attainable speed will be so small that it will be very difficult to observe changes in drop resulting from the change.

Stay with the faster twist if you have any thoughts about heavier bullets. Doubly so for the time when it goes into your estate or give trade or sell the rifle.

RC20
01-12-2017, 12:35 PM

Yep, quick off the head and more numbers should be more twist and its not, its the inch thing, my mistake.

RC20
01-12-2017, 12:38 PM
Agreed but I am saying if his gun won't shoot them, he has the option of going slower and getting it in the sweet spot.

1-10 was for the 220 originally, and that was a long bullet.

Its accuracy over that range is amazing how well it shoots and some are great at 130, but not all

With his gun he can get a barrel that is heavier, slower twist and have the best of both worlds as he can go back if he wants but gets the low recoil he wants as well.