PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Shooter Supply Single Shot Loading Ramp

DrThunder88
09-03-2016, 06:33 PM
I just received two of the three Sharp Shooter Supply Single Shot Loading Ramps I ordered last week and got around to installing them in my rifles. The Axis ramp was much easier to install. All that's needed is to remove the entire trigger assembly from the receiver, insert the ramp into the magazine opening, and reinstall the trigger assembly. It's a simple, solid install with no need for extra hardware. Inspired design and manufacture!

The ramp for my 12 was a bit trickier. Don't believe the "require no modifications to the action or glue for installation" copy on the website. I don't know if this means you have to fill the magwell to support it or tape it toward the back of the receiver, but it doesn't mechanically lock or tension fit in the magazine opening. Bottom line: it did require some adhesive to attach. I opted for a stick of epoxy putty that I rolled into a few small snakes and applied in the gap between the ramp and the receiver. It seems to work, but we'll see how it lasts when I run the rifle through the wringer.

The quality of the parts appears to be quite good, as to be expected from SSS. The ramps were easy to get in position, with well designed grooves on the sides to interact with the receiver.

mike21
09-03-2016, 09:43 PM
Had the same problem with my model 12 Doc. Ramp would just fall down into the mag well. I just used a trial and error combination of a piece of wood and foam rubber in the bottom of the well until I got the tension I wanted. Been working fine for about 9 months.

Another thing I did for single shot firing was to remove the ejector. I find it quite handy not having to catch empties with the off hand or look for them off the bench.

m12lrs
09-04-2016, 04:16 AM
Too bad they don't make one of these for a savage. Then you could keep your magwell for those times you want to load.more.than 1 round.

I use on on my AR15 for single loading those too long.for magazine long.range loads

Works.great

http://www.originalbobsled.com/BoltGunSleds.aspx

jpdown
09-04-2016, 11:29 AM
The SSS Single-shot loading ramps fit the action and feed a lot better than the Score-High magazine ramps in my experience. Some do require a touch of epoxy at the rear to keep in place. If you have a Savage metal DBM frame assembly, then the "Fred Sled" also works very well.

cqh1111
09-04-2016, 11:49 AM
I just take the magazine spring with the follower removed and put it under the ramp. The spring keeps the ramp from falling. No epoxy to deal with if you want to remove the single shot ramp later.

jpx2rk
09-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Dr T:

Is your "12" an FV 12, and if yes, which "sled" did you order?

DrThunder88
09-04-2016, 09:48 PM
It is a 12FV. I ordered the short action ramp for it. Perfect fit, just needs a bit of glue.

I took both rifles to the range today and put a dozen or so rounds through the 12FV and a half dozen through the much heavier-kicking Axis. There are no signs of the ramps budging even in the least. Nice!

jpx2rk
09-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Thanks Dr T, I'm a bit slow on things at time, and just wanted/needed clairification. LOL

DrThunder88
09-05-2016, 01:20 PM
No problem! Sometimes I forget there are other model 12s.

J.Baker
09-16-2016, 08:56 AM
My guess would be that your 12FV's magazine port is a little on the sloppy side (higher end of tolerance). I've seen the ramps being extremely tight going in as well. Just the amount of wear on the tool Savage uses to cut the port could account for some of the variance. Gotta remember that these aren't $1,200 custom actions we're working with here.

jpx2rk
09-17-2016, 08:24 AM
My guess would be that your 12FV's magazine port is a little on the sloppy side (higher end of tolerance). I've seen the ramps being extremely tight going in as well. Just the amount of wear on the tool Savage uses to cut the port could account for some of the variance. Gotta remember that these aren't $1,200 custom actions we're working with here.

True, but they seem to amaze a lot of people.

yobuck
09-17-2016, 10:18 AM
There are lots of open bottom actions being used with home made hardwood loading ramps. just saying.

penna shooter
11-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Older thread, but covered the SS centerfeed ramp for 12FV...Does any member have a few pixs to describe excatly how to install with those Mods?

Thanks for any feedback and or suggestions....Happy Holidays and good luck for Opening day of Buck season.