PDA

View Full Version : release agents

Pages : 1 [2]

Nor Cal Mikie
07-30-2010, 04:05 PM
The masking tape goes on the outside and top of the stock next to the action so the bedding doesn't get all over the place. Better than trying to get the stuff off later. ;)

Elkbane
08-02-2010, 09:10 AM
I don't mask the stock. I found that bedding material seeps under the masking tape anyway, so I focused instead on getting the right amount of bedding material to minimize spillover. With Devcon steel, I use 270 grains of grey with 30 grains of white (9:1by weight) weighed in small plastic mouthwash cups. Once weighed, I scrape the white out, put it into the grey, double the cups, then mix in the doubled cups. Very little waste this way. This gives me just enough to do a short action rifle. Once I put the action in, I initially scrape off the excess with a sharpened popsicle stick, then I put a small wood block on the tang , fold a paper towel over it and the stock, then wrap it tightly with electrical tape. I repeat this about 2-3" in front of the barrel nut. Then I clean up the small amount of remaining overflow on the stock and action with q-tips and Butches Bore Shine (don't get them slopping wet) . Works for me.
Elkbane

sinman
08-02-2010, 08:16 PM
i use Rem oil and devcon, no problems with that combo. all you need is something so it doesn't stick to the action side.

mytwo60
08-02-2010, 08:45 PM
For one or two bedding jobs, I use kiwi. For multiple jobs I use Hornady one shot.

flatshooter
08-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I was thinking about Hornady one shot. ::)