PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: My find -- 1936 Savage M99EG 300

Kersht
09-02-2016, 11:02 AM
Savage 99s are a bit rare in Oklahoma, perhaps in the Midwest in general. This find was in a local pawn shop in OKC - first one I've found in the area! It came with 8 boxes of Remington 300 SAV, and a Leopold scope mount (the rifle was already drilled and tapped). I have a 99 in 308 that I inherited from my Uncle, and when I took it to the range to sight in for hunting, it attracted attention as an unusual lever action.... Since it has a nice vintage Lyman tang sight, I think I will shoot with iron sights this hunting season.

Kersht
09-03-2016, 10:34 AM
Here is a picture:

URL=http://s558.photobucket.com/user/Kersht/media/image_zpssb6w0veh.jpeg.html]http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss26/Kersht/image_zpssb6w0veh.jpeg[/URL]

Flintlock28
09-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Nice find Sir:

I have a 1924 Early "F" model, in .300 savage that I am re-furbishing. The rifle was mechanically fine, but the wood was dented, scratched, and the toe was broken off the stock. the metal was also very slightly pitted, lacking bluing, and small scratches. I have re-furbished the stock adding a Black walnut toe, and sanded and applied Lacquer to the stock and forearm. I am almost completely done Slow Rust-bluing all of the metal. I will post photos when done. I really like your pistol grip, mine is the straight stock, and I prefer the look/feel of the pistol grips; however, the straight stock is starting to grow on me. I really like the look of the Schnabel forearm also, mine is similar to yours. How does yours shoot? I got about 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards.

Kersht
09-04-2016, 01:07 AM
I removed the stock and forearm, steamed out dents as best one can with an 80 year old rifle, and started adding thin coats of BLO. Other than that, mine had about 80% bluing still, good bore, and tight action. I haven't shot it yet -- will report on results when I get it to the range later this month!

Big Al1
09-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Great looking old rifle!! I have the same sight on two of my 99's, a .25-25 and .303. Good friends to old eyes!!