PDA

View Full Version : OK, here it goes......need help for new Savage!!

Pages : [1] 2

alien883
09-01-2016, 08:09 PM
I am in progress to order my first Savage rifle....BUT I am not sure what to get.
Bare with me, I am sort of new to the hobby....not a bloody rookie but no veteran.
I do not reload ( I know...) I am sort of turned of by hard kickers.
I love to have a super accurate rifle....it has to be a heavy barrel and sort of target stock ( may have to go after market with stock )
I do not hunt, but willing to do if needed...
Caliber....Hmmm....something affordable as facory ammo, something maybe ok for long range....something does not kick the *** out of me.
Been reading about a 243, is there good enough ammo available?
Guess what I am asking is a bit help to decide what model and if needed what to add/do/customize and still have a affordable rifle.
Any ideas, any suggestions, any help is greatly apreciated...
Thanks!!

ottawacats
09-01-2016, 08:52 PM
Here is my take on your request

Savage model 12 Long range precision .243 #19136 , 260rem 19138 or 6.5cred # 19137
Bolt a Vortex, Leupold ,Sightron or Nightforce sight on top and your set for long range bench shooting

The second way is built it yourself
Take a model 10,11,12 action
Pick a chassis - XLR , MTD, Boyd etc... lots out there
Barrel - Shilen, Criterion, Mcgowen etc... lots of vendors
Scope/Rings - Vortex, Nightforce, Leupold etc....
Build it in a .243 6mm, 260rem 6.5 etc.... again lots of choices that would have minor recoil

Reloading will give you the ability to also tame the recoil and still have match grade ammo. This way you can tune the load to suit you and your needs.

Flintlock28
09-01-2016, 08:59 PM
I would seriously consider the 6.5 Creedmoor, as the caliber to go with. It is a low recoil, hard hitting, accurate round, that people who shoot .308 Winchester, are switching to the now popular 6.5mm Calibers. The 6.5 mm calibers use long-for-weight bullets that slice through the air, with less velocity loss than .30 caliber bullets, in the same weight. Since these bullets have high sectional density, that means they penetrate very well also. You can use the Creedmoor for long distance shooting, plus it's a fine caliber to hunt Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Pronghorn Antelope, Elk, even Moose. The Swedish use the 6.5X55 round to kill more Moose in Sweden than any other caliber, and the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5X55 round are ballistically very close to each other. I would NOT use the Creedmoor on dangerous Game like Brown or Grizzly bears, but everything else in North America would be fine.

I don't yet have a Creedmoor, but it's next on my list.

drybean
09-01-2016, 09:13 PM
6.5 creed is what you need

shagerott
09-01-2016, 09:43 PM
+1 6.5 Creedmoor.. 6.5 (whisper) 6.5 Creedmoor. You can almost hear it calling out in the distant woods..

I heard good things about 6.5mm during the 60's to 70's but the Carl Gustaf Swedes were hard to find. Now the Creedmoor made 6.5mm much more available to US shooters.

bearcatrp
09-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Go to your closest Cabelas and pick up a 10T in 6.5 creedmoor. Under 600 bucks. Swap out the scope mount to a 20 MOA mount, then get a 6-24x50 scope. The 10T is a Cabelas exclusive. 24 inch bull barrel with 5R rifling. Savage just release the stealth in 6.5 and 308. Get the 6.5. Cost more but better built.

big honkin jeep
09-01-2016, 11:43 PM
Just by your description it sounds to me like you're just looking for an accurate, economical plinker.
Super accurate, contrary to popular internet lore, doesn't have to weigh 12# and have a truck axle for a barrel.
In my opinion the best way to "buy accuracy, especially for someone starting out, is to shoot a lot of ammo.
Most any modern rifle produced today is capable of sub minute accuracy with a load it likes.
As far as choosing a caliber, from what you describe I'd go with a .223 for a couple of reasons.
For one recoil is really mild and the cartridge is really efficient, fast, and flat shooting. Another good reason is bulk pack of Federal 55gr 100 round boxes are available at most "Big blue walled" stores for about $37. It will get you out a couple of hundred (400+) yards which may not be as far as a bunch of the "internet commandos" shoot (sarcasm) but is in reality a pretty far piece.
From what I've seen of ammo prices if you buy the cheap stuff ($19 per box of 20 )and catch it on sale, you may get 40 rounds of .243 at that price in my neck of the woods.
Just personal preference, but I prefer rifles based on the model 10/110 action (includes 11,12,14,16 and 110,111,112,114,116) to the Axis series of rifles
If you want something light and portable that you can walk around the woods with, any of the model 11s should do just fine.
If you want something a little heavier and or longer that you would be mostly shooting from a bench, then one of the model 12 "varmint rifles" (like the 12BVSS) is really nice.
Kind of a shorter, more portable but still fairly heavy option (due to the heavy but typically shorter barrels) that benches well would be one of the model 10 law enforcement rifles.
Not really sure what your budget is, A lot of guys here from all walks of life and one guys idea of budget friendly, may not be on the same planet as another fellas idea of budget friendly. Most of the rifles produced today, especially full featured Savages, don't need all the tinkering and aftermarket parts they did in years past to shoot exceptionally well.
Buy good name brand rings and bases and a good name brand scope. (Leupold and Burris make some affordable serviceable stuff) I cant stress enough that a good name brand mounts and glass is much more important than high magnification long sunshades and "tactical" appearance and will serve you better in the long run.

Good luck.

Texas10
09-02-2016, 12:09 AM
+1 on the .223, preferably a model 12 varmint. You say you're not really into hunting, and want something affordable when it comes to factory ammo. Nothing cheaper than a 223. You can get factory ammo for under 50 cents a pop that'll shoot well under MOA. You can buy factory loads that'll shoot 600 yds to good precision for under 60 cents a load (on sale at Cabelas right now, Australian Outback 69 gr. SMK for $11.04 per 20) and if you want to plink, you can get 55 gr FMJ all day long for 38 cents a round in bulk.

Buy a model 12FV ( a Cabelas special) on sale for $349 and get the $100 rebate, Add a $250 scope, base and rings for another hundred, and a $180 laminate stock with a $90 bi-pod and you're at about $900 total investment. That will get you well started on your way to learning to shoot distance with accuracy without breaking the bank.

JW
09-02-2016, 06:04 AM
+2 on the 223
Hard to beat for price per round and recoil
I have several calibers that I shoot but the 223 is my favorite and the one I shoot the most
Jack

Dennis
09-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Great Ammo is available for the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 243 Win. The 243 Win is my favorite, but both shoot well.

Dennis

justinp61
09-02-2016, 07:47 AM
For the range you're wanting to shoot I'd buy the Creedmoor. I shoot a 260 but since you don't reload, IMO the cm is a better choice because of the quality of off the shelf ammo.

SavageShooter
09-02-2016, 10:22 AM
The problem with trying to answer a question like the OP has asked is without a heck of a lot of knowledge and information that he says he does not have, it is very difficult to help him no matter how much we want to do that. And people who are not well versed in the necessary information who want to get into "long range shooting" are, in my opinion, whistling Dixie. You can't take flying lessons and as soon as you solo, go fly an F-15 Tomcat. It doesn't work that way for much of anything in life, and it doesn't work that way for shooters, especially those who want to shoot a thousand yards or more. There are a lot of reasons for that, but this isn't the place to go into those. I don't know how well that helps the OP, so I'm going to be the one to tell him the news he probably does not want to hear.

Mr. OP, there are a lot of things you will need to know before you can make an informed decision regarding what you have asked. Do your home work. What some of these guys have recommended to you are good recommendations and will likely work for you, ONCE YOU KNOW and understand what they know. But if you don't learn and understand what they know, the rifle probably is not going to do what you want because you don't know enough to make it do what you want and that is the plain truth of it. The reason for that is because the rifle is only half of the eqaution for making a good shooter. What the shooter's training has been, what he knows and understands, and how much shoting experience he has is the other half.

If you want to buy a rifle and buy off the shelf ammo and go out to a range on Saturday and enjoy a day of shooting, that is one thing. But if you want to be able to do what some of the guys here are able to do, then you are going to have to pay the same dues they did and there is nothing we can do to short cut that process. You have to know what you are doing and there is a heckofva a lot more to this than most people believe. We will be happy to help any way we can, but you need a good loading manual with ballistic tables in it to BEGIN, and once you have studied AND UNDERSTAND the charts of the cartridges you may be interested in, then you are off to a good start. If you don't want to go that far, then stick to shooting factory ammo in a factory rifle and be happy with it because that is all you are going to be able to do. You can't start on third base and expect to be a capable shooter.

So get yourself a good manual and study it and then come back here with knowledge about the cartridge or cartridges you are interested in and we'll go from there. Just make sure the cartridge and bullet you choose will stay supersonic for as far as you expect to shoot. After that, there are many good shooters here who can help you with suggestions about barrel harmonics, how to estimate range, dope the wind, read mirage, and all sorts of helpful information you'll need to become a good shooter. So get started and let us know how we can help.

cowboybart
09-02-2016, 12:25 PM
6.5 creed is what you need

This ^^^

Sponxx
09-02-2016, 02:43 PM
The problem with trying to answer a question like the OP has asked is without a heck of a lot of knowledge and information that he says he does not have, it is very difficult to help him no matter how much we want to do that. And people who are not well versed in the necessary information who want to get into "long range shooting" are, in my opinion, whistling Dixie. You can't take flying lessons and as soon as you solo, go fly an F-15 Tomcat. It doesn't work that way for much of anything in life, and it doesn't work that way for shooters, especially those who want to shoot a thousand yards or more. There are a lot of reasons for that, but this isn't the place to go into those. I don't know how well that helps the OP, so I'm going to be the one to tell him the news he probably does not want to hear.

Mr. OP, there are a lot of things you will need to know before you can make an informed decision regarding what you have asked. Do your home work. What some of these guys have recommended to you are good recommendations and will likely work for you, ONCE YOU KNOW and understand what they know. But if you don't learn and understand what they know, the rifle probably is not going to do what you want because you don't know enough to make it do what you want and that is the plain truth of it. The reason for that is because the rifle is only half of the eqaution for making a good shooter. What the shooter's training has been, what he knows and understands, and how much shoting experience he has is the other half.

If you want to buy a rifle and buy off the shelf ammo and go out to a range on Saturday and enjoy a day of shooting, that is one thing. But if you want to be able to do what some of the guys here are able to do, then you are going to have to pay the same dues they did and there is nothing we can do to short cut that process. You have to know what you are doing and there is a heckofva a lot more to this than most people believe. We will be happy to help any way we can, but you need a good loading manual with ballistic tables in it to BEGIN, and once you have studied AND UNDERSTAND the charts of the cartridges you may be interested in, then you are off to a good start. If you don't want to go that far, then stick to shooting factory ammo in a factory rifle and be happy with it because that is all you are going to be able to do. You can't start on third base and expect to be a capable shooter.

So get yourself a good manual and study it and then come back here with knowledge about the cartridge or cartridges you are interested in and we'll go from there. Just make sure the cartridge and bullet you choose will stay supersonic for as far as you expect to shoot. After that, there are many good shooters here who can help you with suggestions about barrel harmonics, how to estimate range, dope the wind, read mirage, and all sorts of helpful information you'll need to become a good shooter. So get started and let us know how we can help.

Im surprised no one asked what long-range means for him. 300yd with a 22LR is not the same as with a 7mmRem Mag, and will teach wind reading much more efficiently. Guns that consistently get to 1000yds and beyond require much more dedication not only to practice, but equipment.
There is no better teacher that trigger time and spent cartridges, IF the shooter knows why the outcome is such when bullet hits (either missing or hitting the mark)
The comments by SavageShooter are correct, but the OP may have enough knowledge to understand things, and we are clueless of his experience.

For sure a 223 will provide plenty of satisfaction, trigger time for cheap, with low recoil to boot, and that is better than a bigger cartridge that he won't shoot due to cost or recoil. I would rather be a great shooter with a so-so gun than the other way around.

Once you start going long, environmentals will have a more significant effect, and certain bullets will buck wind better. Bullets have more significance than cartridges in that aspect. That is were understanding the ballistics recommendation comes into place.

The beauty of a Savage is that you could switch barrels and be shooting something else in the same rifle if you want to improve. I

If you start with a semidecent gun and consistent ammo you will do well. Good bases and reliable scope (liking the Fixed SWFA SS more and more) If you need to change the stock on the cheap Boyd's laminates, the sky is the limit after that.

SavageShooter
09-02-2016, 04:16 PM
The beauty of a Savage is that you could switch barrels and be shooting something else in the same rifle if you want to improve.

And that's the truth. Nothing outside of a TC Encore or maybe a Handi Rifle can change accurate barrels quicker. Savage makes a lot of things easy for shooters and you just gotta love'm.

hereinaz
09-02-2016, 09:39 PM
Bottom dollar entry level, Dicks has the 11VT for $419 after rebate or you can pick up heavy barrel Axis off GunBroker for $239 after rebate. Get a laminate stock from Stockys or Boyds. You'll have a solid platform.

Put on a scope that cost as much as the rifle, and, away you go!

Any of the calibers above are awesome.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Keith_A
09-03-2016, 03:18 PM
I shoot both .223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. For a person starting out, I'd recommend the .223. In relative terms, it is inexpensive to shoot (cost / round) and you will learn a lot about shooting. You will probably reach your limit with .223 around 500 yards (target shooting). .223 is the best bang for the buck. If you find that you really enjoy shooting step-up to the 6.5 Creedmoor. (It is more expensive to shoot / round, but can go a longer distance.)

Flintlock28
09-03-2016, 07:34 PM
I shoot both .223 and 6.5 Creedmoor. For a person starting out, I'd recommend the .223. In relative terms, it is inexpensive to shoot (cost / round) and you will learn a lot about shooting. You will probably reach your limit with .223 around 500 yards (target shooting). .223 is the best bang for the buck. If you find that you really enjoy shooting step-up to the 6.5 Creedmoor. (It is more expensive to shoot / round, but can go a longer distance.)

I think you hit the nail on the head.....

When I first read the post, i thought the original poster was going to both target shoot, and Hunt. If he was going to do both, than i'd go 6.5 Creedmoor. Since he's not gonna hunt, the .223 is the cheaper/easier way to go.

RC20
09-03-2016, 07:59 PM
I don't get the Hunt part if forced to.

243 has a reputation for using up barrels, so a lot of target shooting you would want to think about getting setup for a barrel change.

223 is a good choice for target and low impact. 6.5 mm are more versatile.

308 is rated good for low barrel impact, more recoil with factory ammo but a decent recoil pad negates that.

223 not my choice for hunting but it can work ok.

dranrab
09-04-2016, 07:49 AM
Alien, what is long distance to you? With the information you have given us, I offer this, and it is somewhat arbitrary. If long range to you is 4-500 yards any of Savages heavy barrel 223s will be ideal. Tons of quality, accurate affordable ammo available off the shelf. At longer distances I would look toward the 6.5 Creedmoor. More and more manufacturers are cranking out good target rifles in the Creedmoor and the variety and availibity of ammo is still improving. That said, there is nothing at all wrong with the 243. It would be cheaper to shoot than the Creedmoor. For some reason though, it just doesn't seem as inherently accurate, although it may be more than accurate enough for what you want.