PDA

View Full Version : Stretching it out on some milk jugs

Pages : [1] 2

scooterf79
08-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Hey guys here's a 4 or 5 min video I put together from a few weeks ago. It's just proof that if I can do this anyone can lol.
https://youtu.be/DklKaMcS01U.
Scooter

yobuck
08-31-2016, 04:52 PM
Way to go Scooter, nice shooting.
But that last one didn't look more than 950 to me. lol
Do you plan on any bear hunting this year?

LongRange
08-31-2016, 05:55 PM
Nice shooting scooter!!

You have bears I have horses lol...

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160831/bbda63511cd7f5c17c71cc978471d674.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooterf79
08-31-2016, 06:59 PM
Thanks guys!
Yobuck, There's not many bears where I do most of my hunting. That place in the video is about 2.5hrs down the road at my in-laws. It's in one of the 4 bow-only counties(deer) in the state. To be honest I'm not sure if they allow gun season for bears down there or not.

LR, nice! I knew you had horses there, but thats about as good as it gets lol.
I will say you didn't see all the misses, I took those out or you would still he watching lol. It wasnt really that bad but the wind is crazy up there, and I'm a novice so that doesn't help either lol
Scooter

LongRange
08-31-2016, 07:34 PM
Lol I figured...first thing I noticed was the heavy brush moving in the wind.

The horses were about 25yds to my right the entire time I was shooting walking along the draw and ended up at my target...I had to go down and Chase that one off.

What were you shooting the jugs with?

jpx2rk
08-31-2016, 09:06 PM
Nice shooting at various ranges. What camera equipment are you using?

yobuck
09-01-2016, 09:33 AM
That's a wonderful place to shoot, to bad its as far as it is from you.
But its a good reason to agree to visit your mother in law lol.
It appears to be a reclaimed coal strip operation, lots of them not far from here also.
A friend has a very large track like that with shooting shacks in good locations about an hour from here.
He has also built lots of permanent steel targets so far to 1600, with plans for going to about 2500 all visable from one location.
But meanwhile there are rocks to shoot at till he gets it all done.
A good place to observe various cartridges, as well as a very nice way to spend a fall day when the leaves are in color.

SavRimfire
09-01-2016, 11:47 AM
Hey guys here's a 4 or 5 min video I put together from a few weeks ago. It's just proof that if I can do this anyone can lol.
https://youtu.be/DklKaMcS01U.
Scooter

Nice shootin! Shooting reactive targets is always wayyyyyyy more fun than punching paper, especially, at distance.

Curious, what cartridge and in what kind of gun were you shooting?

scooterf79
09-01-2016, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I've not shot distance like that but a couple times. It's really hard there it seems because the way the mountains make the wind change direcctions. There's always a real stout breeze up there.

Yobuck, you're exactly right, it's an old strip. My father-in-laws buddy took me up there last summer to show me around because he knew I wanted to do some LR shooting. Can't remember how much it shows in the video but if I pan left of my 977 milk jugs I think I can get to maybe 13-1400 there, 1500 if I squeeze maybe. I may try to run down there this fall, I've not decided yet. It would be great shooting especially when it cools off some.

Jpx, I was using a go pro on my truck and a Sony handycam (can't remember the model right off) for the long shots. It's a new camera,. I've not used it alot yet. I used my Nikon 1 for alot of my hunting stuff but the lenses they offer aren't quite enough to see on really far shots.

I was shooting a my 6BR, I pestered LR about dies and loading for it for a while. He's been a big help.
Savage 110 (old "short" action)
28in McGowan 8 twist
105gr Amax

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a631/scooterf79/Mobile%20Uploads/20160520_142138_zps2demtqjq.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/scooterf79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160520_142138_zps2demtqjq.jpg.html)

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a631/scooterf79/Mobile%20Uploads/20160520_134955_zps7nhn3emm.jpg (http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/scooterf79/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160520_134955_zps7nhn3emm.jpg.html)
Scooter

LongRange
09-01-2016, 05:24 PM
gotta love that little cartridge blowing up milk jugs at 977yds!!

LongRange
09-01-2016, 05:26 PM
almost forgot....i think we could take up a collection and get you a real ammo box for christmas.

yobuck
09-02-2016, 09:19 AM
almost forgot....i think we could take up a collection and get you a real ammo box for christmas.

What he needs more is a real bench.
That one will promote a serious case of wobbles.
That plywood top supported from the rear rack of the 4 wheeler would be a better option.
Ace those legs and the stool, kneel right on the ground with a small carpet scrap for padding.
Ace that bipod for one with leg notches also. Last thing you need is one of those failing when your
wailing away at that bear. lol
The shooting part when hunting, is the easiest part if your well prepared before hand.
Especially in areas like that with no obstructions to conceal animals and block shots.
But any type of distraction from your total concentration on shooting at the animal can be fatal.

LongRange
09-02-2016, 10:11 AM
no need to pack a bench around when you have the most solid surface right under your feet every where you go.

yobuck
09-02-2016, 05:52 PM
no need to pack a bench around when you have the most solid surface right under your feet every where you go.

Solid yes, but try laying and shooting from some of the places we hunt from and you will beg me to use my bench. lol
We do happen to have a few pretty good belly shooters on the eastern side of the country by the way.
I believe many years ago some migrated out there from here. Hell they never heard about baseball until the Dodgers moved west. lol
But you being a shooter, envision this. Your on your belly and have yourself in a good body position to
shoot at one of Scooters jugs. But the jug decides to start walking down hill right from you, and dosen't stop
again for 50 yards or even more. Would you feel ready (right now) as soon as he stops? Or would you be wanting
to readjust your body position for the new location? But wait, wait because he decided to move again. Hot doe's tend to
cause that type thing with bucks. Success will have less to do with how well you can shoot from your favorite position, and
everything to do with adapting to being ready right now to send lead.
Even you, will do that better from my setup than from your prone position.

LongRange
09-03-2016, 08:16 AM
sorry scooter...

Buck...first if i was uncomfortable in a prone position how would you even have a bench there and how would it be more stable than the earth? if your just talking about laying in the snow or cold or mud ECT ive done it...ive shot up hill down hill across deep canyons and across water and i regularly practice shooting from uncomfortable,unstable and odd positions and the last few months shooting weak side(left)handed so im an ok shot from just about an prone position you can think of.

second im a pretty fast shooter...i can get 3 rounds off in 7 seconds out of a bolt gun and impact 8" round targets at 100-200 and 300yds with all 3 rounds.

now to answer your question "Would i feel ready (right now) as soon as he stops?" if it was with in 900yds with a 10mph wind or less hed be dead...keep in mind its 1.052 seconds from pin drop to impact so he wouldnt have enough time to flinch...the thing is in your scenario i was in a good position BEFORE he took the walk so its doubtful he would of got to take the first step in the first place.

as far as me shooting better off your set...doubtful...ive shot off a bench one time in my entire life.

scooterf79
09-03-2016, 08:51 AM
gotta love that little cartridge blowing up milk jugs at 977yds!!
Oh yeah, I was pretty impressed. I know it's not a heavy hitter but I like it.

Aww come on, kinda hurting my feelings [emoji23] [emoji3] Lol. Figured I'd use it since the brass is so expensive lol. Actually it's a pretty decent price from bullets.com.

Buck,
I took the bench mainly because it was my first real time shooting there. It was so windy that it was moving me all over so I hit the ground. Lol.
Scooter

scooterf79
09-03-2016, 09:00 AM
It's hard for me to even fathom shooting a game animal that far. I think you both make good points and you've both got alot of trigger time. I have no doubt either of you could make the shot.
No need for sorry LR, I like the conversation.
LR...how many MOA are you taking to get to 1000?

Buck, what are the typical top choices for deer that far where you are? Big 7s and 30s?
Scooter

LongRange
09-03-2016, 09:04 AM
21.5....this was the last 1000yd F-class match I shot in a 21+mph wind....

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/40080c49c5cc35ad3039ffb289dfa318.jpg

LongRange
09-03-2016, 09:05 AM
double post.

yobuck
09-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Well lets just say most of us (average) shooters, can in fact perform better from a solid platform than laying on the ground.
If that signifys a sign of weakness or inability so be it.
Its not, or at least shouldn't be, all about (us), when hunting.
Its about making a humane kill on an animal, and however a person can best achieve that, is the proper way for that person.
Remember also, that the excitement factor comes into play far more, when rarely seen live animals are the target.
Take that bear for example, and consider that the average hunter could hunt them in a place like West VA or PA
for a lifetime, without ever seeing one. Even though those states are as good as it gets in the entire country for bears.
So again, (average) people can struggle to perform well under those type situations even with the best of conditions to shoot.
There's another rifle match somewhere very soon. But maybe another lifetime wont produce another bear or trophy deer opportunity, and no range officer is going to ask if there's any alibis, like a sharp rock poking your gut and elbow or low brush in your face when looking thru the scope.
Maybe we could persuade that stupid animal to show up somewhere better suited for us to shoot prone from. lol