PDA

View Full Version : Stretching it out on some milk jugs

Pages : 1 [2]

yobuck
09-03-2016, 01:19 PM
It's hard for me to even fathom shooting a game animal that far. I think you both make good points and you've both got alot of trigger time. I have no doubt either of you could make the shot.
No need for sorry LR, I like the conversation.
LR...how many MOA are you taking to get to 1000?

Buck, what are the typical top choices for deer that far where you are? Big 7s and 30s?
Scooter

50 years ago the top choice in PA would have been the 6.5x300 Weatherby.
40 years ago that choice would have been the 7x300 Weatherby.
Reasons for those choices would have been good bullet availability, and the 7 stw and ultra mag didn't yet exist.
The various 7mms are still very popular, whereas the 6.5s are not, at least for hunting.
The 30 cal is also popular, but fading to a large degree due to the 338s.
Some of that is really uncalled for, and due to inexperience on the part of some who do the choosing.
Your not really missing much by having a 300 ultra mag, a 300 Norma, or even a 300 Wby or Win mag, with 190 to 210 gr bullets.
When it gets too far for them, it might also be too far for us. (If not sooner. lol)
As for ability, you've already shown you can do it Scooter. And if you have a young kid guess what, they can also.

LongRange
09-03-2016, 01:30 PM
im not saying im any better of a shot than you and im not saying my way is better...im not one to brag about how great i am....im just saying that prone shooting is my strong position and im confident enough inside 1000yds in a 10mph wind to take the shot...and now your throwing in other ppl and calling them average...if i was with an average shooter and he was behind the rifle in the same scenario i would tell him to wait for a better opportunity but you asked ME if I would be ready not what i thought about an average shooter taking the same shot.

also keep im mind i regularly make cold bore shots out to 1000yds in different conditions and i also know about the rush when you draw down on an animal...ive said a few times here that im not a hunter...BUT...i never said i havent been hunting and have never killed anything...i have...its just easier for my lazy a$$ to drive to the store and spend $10 bucks a LB instead of driving a 100 miles and spending $90 bucks a LB LOL!!

and FYI...there are no sighters or alibis in my class at the matches i shoot ;) and just for the record...if i was laying there with you spotting and had any doubt in my mind about 1 shot 1 kill i would not take the shot...as i said above im to lazy to be chasing wounded animals all over the country side.

yobuck
09-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Well there's only one reason you don't take sighter shots in the matches you shoot, and that's because the rules don't allow it.
And that's o k, because the same rule applies to everybody else, not just you.
First round cold bore is one thing when your shooting at a location your familiar with, and quite another when your shooting from a location your not. Especially when mountainous terrain is involved.
Its a rather new game some obviously enjoy playing, and that's all fine.
But mostly, it really proves very little, other than possibly some bragging rites by those who pursue it.
We are not snipers, and regardless of the games we like to play, we never will be.
In my own meaningless opinion, anybody turning down an opportunity to confirm or reconfirm their zero, or otherwise attempting to improve their odds of making a shot, is a fool not to do so.

LongRange
09-03-2016, 05:23 PM
you know i have love for you Buck and i mean no disrespect with this reply but this is the reason i dont respond to most of your posts...ever time someone replies you change the playing field by adding or subtracting variables to tip the odds in the favor of your opinion and from what ive gathered your opinion is the only ppl that can make long distance 1 shot kills all live in your neck of the woods...well ill tell you this...most of the kills made here in nevada are 300+yds so believe it or not there are some good hunters on the west cost.

and i never said i would just pull up to your spot,jump out of my truck and make a cold bore shot...your right only a fool would!! as far as me shooting in a familiar spot you are right i am familiar with where i shoot but the environmentals are never the same as the last time i shot there...as far as shooting in mountainous terrain im not sure if this is considered mountainous terrain to you or not but this is where i practice....

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff515/LTT-/Mobile%20Uploads/1472935102.jpg (http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/LTT-/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1472935102.jpg.html)

and to add to shooting familiar places....if that was such a huge advantage why has no one EVER cleaned a long range varmint match at our range where some of the guys have been shooting for 10 plus years and make me look like its my first time shooting?

your right WE are not snipers and never will be...they are in an entirely different league...you are also right that it all proves very little other than bragging rights for some...im not that guy....for me its personal challenge and gratification...and as i said if i was in doubt about "THE SHOT" i would not take it

scooterf79
09-04-2016, 12:27 AM
21.5....this was the last 1000yd F-class match I shot in a 21+mph wind....

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160903/40080c49c5cc35ad3039ffb289dfa318.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotcha....my 6BR is around 34-35 MOA. I've not had my 6x55 Swede out that far yet for a reference.

50 years ago the top choice in PA would have been the 6.5x300 Weatherby.
40 years ago that choice would have been the 7x300 Weatherby.
Reasons for those choices would have been good bullet availability, and the 7 stw and ultra mag didn't yet exist.
The various 7mms are still very popular, whereas the 6.5s are not, at least for hunting.
The 30 cal is also popular, but fading to a large degree due to the 338s.
Some of that is really uncalled for, and due to inexperience on the part of some who do the choosing.
Your not really missing much by having a 300 ultra mag, a 300 Norma, or even a 300 Wby or Win mag, with 190 to 210 gr bullets.
When it gets too far for them, it might also be too far for us. (If not sooner. lol)
As for ability, you've already shown you can do it Scooter. And if you have a young kid guess what, they can also.
Thanks for the info buck, I appreciate it. I'm debating on building a magnum sometime in the future that will have enough payload for deer at that distance. Will I ever shoot one that far?....nope, will I ever get the chance?..doubtful. But just in case. [emoji16] I've not really messed with the 30s, I like the 7's.(I have a 7mm-08(it's mommas), 280AI, and a 7mm Rem mag.) No particular reason, I just do. The 28 Nosler seems intriguing, but the classic 300win mag would work. I was just curious about real life results from some who've been there/done that.
Scooter

yobuck
09-04-2016, 02:34 AM
Well in defence of myself, ill take a fifth. lol
But i don't think you can find where ive ever claimed any credit for my shooting ability, or any other ability for that matter.
That for a very good reason, because I don't claim to have much. Certainly no more than the vast majority of others on this site.
I have never claimed, nor do I believe, the ability to score first round hits is a requirement to be successful while long range hunting.
That topic would be the figment of other peoples imagination, most of whom have never attempted to hunt in that manner.
Are they desirable? Absolutly they are desirable, but more often than not, it is not a necessary requirement other than in the minds of some individuals.
You wont find that mindset among (experienced) eastern hunters and especially PA hunters.
And wether its appreciated or not, PA is where long range hunting as it is known today has its roots, and that can be documented.
Now you will please take note that I haven't, or am i claiming, any unique abilities for those living in the east, and especially those from PA.
With the exception, that the best cheese steaks in the whole world come from Philly. So just disregard all the signs claiming otherwise.
What I do, what we do, and what you do my friend, would be a rather easy accomplishment for most people the world over who have the opportunity and the desire to involve themselves in it.
Obviously some would excel faster and further than others of us. BUT, SO WHAT?
How many here ever heard of Margaret Murdock? How about Lones Wigger? Did you look them up to find out? and if so, how in hell will we be remembered and for what?
I mean it's not like were called upon to throw 100 mph fastballs for strikes with 50.000 people screaming at us,
or driving cars at 200 mph around crowded race tracks.
Now for the record, you and most others here and elsewhere, obviously seem to think that the path to success for long range hunting, lies in the ability of the person doing the shooting.
That simply is not true, and Ive never even implied that it was.
In fact, quite the opposite is true and ive said so on other occaisions here.
For sure an element of shooting ability is required, but no more than many shooters including most here on this site now have.
An ability to shoot 1" groups at 100 yds will suffice in the taking of a deer at 1000 yds and even further.
PROVIDED,they are using the right equiptment, AND PROVIDED, they listen and do as instructed.
Ive also stated here on several occaisions that a large percentage of our deer have been taken by young kids,
and other inexperienced long range shooters. And again for the record, us (easterners) think of 500 yds and beyond, as being long range.
We might bend the rules slightly for young shooters, but not for long. If that comes off as bragging, blame it on the confidence we have in our method, and not in our personal ability.
Quite the opposite of comments ive heard from others around here.
About anybody can spot a hit on the dirt behind a target. But doing that on a distant hillside covered with trees and wet leaves, or 6" of snow can now be a totaly different story. First off, not all the bullets even arrive at the target, and you the shooter, wouldn't know why.
Not only would you be begging for my bench, you would also be begging for assistance, and it wouldn't be in regard to which target is next.
But since ive brought up the which target situation, that can also become an issue that few armchair hunters ever contemplate.
In the perfect world of dreams, the huge buck is always alone, but is he? What do bucks do, especially in the fall, and often while the season is taking place?
What happens when theres six deer over there all scrambling about and constantly changing their location as it applies to the others?
Sure, an expert would just get up, walk away and call it a day and maybe a year.
But we would kill that buck, and only because of our better method. And note I said we and not me.

LongRange
09-04-2016, 08:25 AM
ok Buck i yield LOL.....you are so set in your ways that your way is the only way regardless of what anyone says so its just a waste of time to discuss this or any shooting related topic with you...with that said i will add that this thread and 99% of the other threads YOU turn into hunting debates have NOTHING to do with hunting...read the first post...HES SHOOTING MILK JUGS NOT ANIMALS!!

i also find it funny that you honestly believe that shooter skill and the ability to make first round/cold bore shots at long distances would not be an advantage over someone that shoots 10-20 rounds a year in a hunting scenario.

and in closing...this statement really makes me laugh..."If that comes off as bragging, blame it on the confidence we have in our method, and not in our personal ability."

the guys that go out and shoot 1MOA targets day in and day out have confidence in their personal ability,their gear and their methods and IMHO gives them an advantage in any scenario.