PDA

View Full Version : Twist question - Left - Right ??

RegisG
08-31-2016, 09:07 AM
I have a Model 10 FLCP in 243 and in 223. Is the barrel twist the same for FCP & FLCP? I know that I can push a tight patch through and verify what I think the twist rate is BUT, I don't know how to tell if it is left or right twist. pushing rod from rear will it turn right for right hand twist?? Is that correct?

Thanks,
Regis

darkker
08-31-2016, 11:29 AM
BUT, I don't know how to tell if it is left or right twist. pushing rod from rear will it turn right for right hand twist?? Is that correct?

You do know how, just don't second guess yourself.
The twist direction is the way the bullet gets rotated. So if you push from the chamber to the muzzle, that would be the same as the bullet. Unless you have a special aftermarket barrel, they are all right-hand twist.

RegisG
08-31-2016, 01:04 PM
You do know how, just don't second guess yourself.
The twist direction is the way the bullet gets rotated. So if you push from the chamber to the muzzle, that would be the same as the bullet. Unless you have a special aftermarket barrel, they are all right-hand twist.
Original stock barrels.
Thank you,
Regis

RC20
08-31-2016, 04:43 PM
The only US made barrels that I know of that were left were the Model of 1917s and those just used the Brit machinery that was setup for it (interestingly its the now the famous 5R grove!)

And you only need a left hand twist if you are shooting below the equator, the Cornelius affect keeps the windage going correctly:confused:.

Robinhood
08-31-2016, 04:53 PM
The Cornelius effect! You can bet your last money honey....its going to be a stone gas next time on Soul Train!

FW Conch
08-31-2016, 05:31 PM
WoWooo.... :-)

Robinhood
08-31-2016, 05:58 PM
Hehe

darkker
08-31-2016, 11:36 PM
Pretty sure Cornelius was looking for gold, but found a Bumble....
The Coriolis effect is dependant upon where you are, and the direction you are firing, as to which direction it is going to push. But in the sense that is being spoken of, northern hemisphere folks, should be using left twist rifles.

wbm
09-01-2016, 09:26 AM
The Cornelius effect! You can bet your last money honey....its going to be a stone gas next time on Soul Train!http://www.savageshooters.com/images/smilies/cool.png

Wonder if Don took the Soul Train to heaven?

RC20
09-01-2016, 02:28 PM
Dang, I stand corrected, never could keep the toilet bowl swirl part straight!

Sometimes I make typing mistakes and look at it and like the result unintended or not, so I kept the Cornelius affect.

Good to have some fun.