PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Nut Removal?

Pages : 1 [2]

genesis2214
09-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Savage rifles can have that affect, strut64. They are pretty easy to work on and configure. I have pictures of my failed attempts at removing my smooth nut on my PhotoBucket page and will try to post them later. The smooth wrench came with brass shims that did not hold up to that much pressure and torque. I think what did me in was the epoxy the Savage factories use on the smoothies. If I had heated it up, the epoxy would basically pop and dark smoke would appear. I bet then I could have removed it. I tried a pipe wrench and that had no affect except to scratch my receiver.

genesis2214
09-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Once I got the slotted nut on my new barrel and old receiver life was great.

RC20
09-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Savage rifles can have that affect, strut64. They are pretty easy to work on and configure. I have pictures of my failed attempts at removing my smooth nut on my PhotoBucket page and will try to post them later. The smooth wrench came with brass shims that did not hold up to that much pressure and torque. I think what did me in was the epoxy the Savage factories use on the smoothies. If I had heated it up, the epoxy would basically pop and dark smoke would appear. I bet then I could have removed it. I tried a pipe wrench and that had no affect except to scratch my receiver.

Not epoxy, some kind of a Lock Tite. Epoxy would never let go, lock tite does release with heat.