PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: 1908 Savage 99 questions

abonneau
08-29-2016, 07:46 PM
I was given a old Savage 99 in pieces. The serial number dates it to 1908 and the chambering is in 30-30.
My first 99. It makes me want to have more.
I figured out ( I think ) how it went together but I do have a couple of questions I was hoping someone would be kind enough to help me out on.
It all seems to be there except the bolt stop screw and the other little screw right beside it that hold the trigger spring in. Does anyone know the size and pitch of these . It appears to be a #6 but am unable to determine the thread. If anyone knows a source that would be appreciated.
Also, this gun does not appear to have the same type of firing pin rebound spring as the later models. Instead it has a small spring loaded horseshoe shaped yoke to perform the purpose. Am I correct in this or have I made a mistake in assembly. This is the only place this part seems to fit.
The gun does seem to lock up snug and so I am hoping to shoot it. It is in cosmetically only fair condition but should shoot OK

Thanks in advance

Flintlock28
08-30-2016, 05:41 PM
I think they are #6-48 size screws.

Try Brownells, Numrich Gun Parts, and a lot of times Ebay is actually good for getting gun parts...i have ordered screws off of Ebay, from Gunsmiths/parts suppliers who want to reach a wide audience.

I think there were two styles of firing pins, but I'm vague on that issue.

abonneau
08-30-2016, 09:10 PM
[QUOTE=Flintlock28;377782]I think they are #6-48 size screws

Thanks

I had tried what I thought were 6-48 but maybe they were not. I will see if I can come up with some other screws.

Also, I now have a couple of more questions.
It checked the serial # again and it seems I screwed up . The rifle was made in 1901 or 1902.
Initially, I thought the buttstock had been replaced because there was wood filler behind the rear tang. The tang the stock has been inletted for was much longer and came to a point. The filler is very well done and is very solid.
However, the serial numbers on the rifle and the stock match ( 22xxx ). Pretty low
Did the earlier models have a different tang shape. I am now wondering if this rifle was some sort of transitional model and the factory used stocks left over from a different rifle.
It has a 22 inch barrel, a straight stock with a steel shotgun butt with no checkering
I was thinking that no collector would be interested ( due to what I was thinking was a replaced stock )
but maybe I am wrong.I am not looking to get a value on it. I am a shooter rather than a collector and perhaps I should get it together and let it go to a collector. If it is a gun a collector would want. It might as well be with someone who appreciates it.
It would certainly affect how I would use it. I would never abuse it but I may use it.

Flintlock28
08-30-2016, 09:37 PM
I wish i knew more to help you; but it's above my pay grade. perhaps someone more informed could help with identification. #6-48, and #8-40 are some of the most common gun screws. i don't think they are used much by other Industries, and they're the most likely. I can't remember if the Tang screws are the same as the bolt stop/trigger spring screws, but the Tang uses #8-40. #6-48 are used mainly for holding down scopes.
Take the Tang screw out, and see if it will work in the hole(s), than you'll know it's an #8-40.