PDA

View Full Version : factory loads sticking in chamber and sometimes blowing primers factory loads

Pages : 1 [2]

jamesvtr
09-24-2016, 01:47 AM
Well I just had this same problem with a box of ammo. I shot a few of them and closed the box back. Get some different ammo. I Know there is nothing wrong with my rifle. I don't trust a whole lot of factory ammo. If your going to shoot a WSM you should reload. I only shot the factory stuff because I was given 2 boxes and wanted the brass. But it's loaded so dang hot it's scaring the case and blowing the primers. Try some different ammo and see try something no so "performance" .
i tried multiple brands of ammo same result

jamesvtr
09-24-2016, 01:48 AM
It's easy and costs nothing to check the headspace.

Masking tape on the head of the case. 1 layer = 0.002", 2 layers = 0.004"

If the bolt doesn't close on 2 layers of making tape on the head, then your headspace is good. If the bolt doesn't close on 1 layer of tape, then your headspace is excellent and tight.

If it closes on 2 layers of tape but doesn't on close on 3 layers, then your headspace is long but still safe. If the bolt closes on 3 layers of tape, then I would redo the headspace.

Best would be to use a headspace go-gauge with the tape method but factory ammo will give you a good idea if it's good or bad.
head spacing was checked by gunsmith and said to be good

acemisser
09-24-2016, 01:15 PM
SO,,what was the out come on this rifle...You got to have another story to tell..

scooterf79
09-24-2016, 03:02 PM
the local gun smith and savage have been talking and i now have to send my rifle to savage for warranty didnt realize there would be warranty. sounds like savage is either replacing the barrel or the whole gun time will tell its going into the mail on monday.
He posted this yesterday, looks like we will have to wait and see what savage finds or decides to do.
Scooter

jamesvtr
09-29-2016, 12:21 AM
its in the mail on its way to savage arms canada in Ontario

hacker
09-30-2016, 06:46 PM
To my thinking this is a pressure issue, Can someone explain to me how
headspace could be an issue with sticking cases, and blowing out primers?
Seriously, these both seem to me to be pressure.

RC20
09-30-2016, 11:26 PM
I agree, chamber issue not head space though.

AutomaticSlim
10-02-2016, 03:23 AM
My re-barreled Win. M-92 did the same thing with the primers. No case sticking, but primers backed out. Turns out the firing pin was too long. Gary

loteksw
10-04-2016, 06:17 AM
I have an older model 300wsm.(flat rear receiver) I had no problems with the Federal rounds, but Win and Rem stick coming out. Fed brass has a slightly shorter neck.
the Rem and Win once fired brass would not re-chamber without extreme drag. Trimmed 002 off the necks and they are fine now. Now I just shoot Federal or trim the necks back on other brands of brass.

jamesvtr
11-23-2016, 12:55 AM
still waiting for gun to come back haven't abandoned the help i have received here once i know more ill post

Zero333
11-23-2016, 10:11 AM
I've heard of these problems with Savages chambered for the WSM cartridges.

It's almost guaranteed the problem is the chamber. I've read that many early rifles (not just Savages) chambered for WSM's had very short freebore. So handloads can't fix that problem.

I really hope Savage makes things right for you... fast.

jamesvtr
01-09-2017, 01:29 AM
still waiting on repair or replacement does it normally take this long

bsekf
01-09-2017, 11:21 AM
When at the range, for safety's sake. Put a piece of scotch tape on the case head to make a no-go gauge. Bolt should not close on the 2nd piece of tape. You could also check the measurements of fired case and unfired, however you will need a micrometer and a v scale and a comparator.

Bill

RustyShackle
01-09-2017, 10:11 PM
I had a 116 replaced and it took more than awhile. I think it was about 6 months wait time. The replacement seems good to go, although the barrel isn't centered in the stock.

ttexastom
01-10-2017, 12:40 AM
Have observed on a gun not long ago. The culprit that caused this problem was a spec of rust in chamber.

pbmax84
01-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Ran into this same issue a few years back. Any chance that ammo is Win. Supreme? In my case it turned out to be out of spec factory ammo (long necks)..

jamesvtr
01-17-2017, 11:46 PM
i tried many brands of ammo with no luck. i got a call from a lady in lakefield today and there sending me a new gun now should have it within a week she said. i got a different caliber now as the couldnt get me the 270wsm so the new gun will be a 7mm rem mag. svage has come through just took along time to get past gretch outdoors to savage canada. im told the gun will be dismantled so it can be shipped to the us for engineering to find out the issue

jamesvtr
01-17-2017, 11:47 PM
thank you to all on their input