PDA

View Full Version : Axis Grip Modifications?

AtlMedic
08-28-2016, 06:16 PM
Hi, new guy here.

I have an Axis .308 that I am looking to do some minor modifications too. I plan on painting my stock before deer season but I want to do all my stock modifications before I do. I plan on picking up some of the rocktite (I think its called) that I have read about here to stiffen the stock as well as a cheek riser. I have bought a spring off Amazon that is supposed the lighten the trigger, but I havent gotten around to putting it in yet.

My question here is, has anyone done anything to make the grip thicker? I may be alone in this but it feels too narrow and slick to me. Has anyone done any modifications to make it bigger and/or have a grippier texture?

Thanks for any help y'all may give.

FW Conch
08-28-2016, 06:49 PM
Welcome to the Brotherhood :-))

Yes, it can be done, if You are a "Bondo" guy, and other ways. But, IMO, the only value Your stock has, it is light. If You add a bunch of stuff and make it heavier, that value goes away.

There is a thread somewhere on this site where a guy totally rebuilt a Stevens 200 stock with Bondo. And I have installed an AR grip on one.

But My advise would be, just bite the bullet and get the Boyd's stock of Your choice. You'll end up doing it in the long run anyway.

No matter what We do with a Tupperware stock, We still have a "Sow's Ear" ;-))

Good Luck...Jim

AtlMedic
08-28-2016, 07:04 PM
Welcome to the Brotherhood :-))

Yes, it can be done, if You are a "Bondo" guy, and other ways. But, IMO, the only value Your stock has, it is light. If You add a bunch of stuff and make it heavier, that value goes away.

There is a thread somewhere on this site where a guy totally rebuilt a Stevens 200 stock with Bondo. And I have installed an AR grip on one.

But My advise would be, just bite the bullet and get the Boyd's stock of Your choice. You'll end up doing it in the long run anyway.

No matter what We do with a Tupperware stock, We still have a "Sow's Ear" ;-))

Good Luck...Jim

Yeah I was hoping to not put too much weight on it. Was hoping for something like a Houge grip. I may play around with some sort of fabric and Velcro to add a little girth to it without much weight. It isn't the end of the world if I can't make it work though. I don't want to do the Boyd's stock because I have a few other gun projects that money would be better spent on.

FW Conch
08-28-2016, 07:19 PM
To help the slick feel, You could spray the grip with Truck Bed, or Texture Paint.

AtlMedic
08-28-2016, 07:44 PM
To help the slick feel, You could spray the grip with Truck Bed, or Texture Paint.

I was just thinking about wrapping it in skateboard grip tape after I paint it. I figure it would be the easiest way to add some grip.

30-06shooter
08-28-2016, 08:18 PM
Grip tape or stipple it.

https://youtu.be/rPNOowO5tso

DrThunder88
08-29-2016, 01:52 AM
If I were looking to do something like that, I'd probably build up the grip using a mix of epoxy, microballoons, and some sort of thixotropic agent. Once cured, I'd sculpt it to the desired shape, and cover it with a layer of glass reinforced epoxy.

But if I didn't already have the epoxy and stuff (and copious free time), I'd probably get an aftermarket stock.

Russ77
08-31-2016, 02:35 AM
When I first picked up my axis one of the things I noticed was how narrow the grip area felt in my hand. I went with a Boyd stock and I'm very happy that I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk