PDA

View Full Version : Back from the range.

30-06shooter
08-27-2016, 05:09 PM
After replacing the 4 and done scope on my sons rifle we decided to go sight it in along with my new axis XP. I was very impressed. 9 shots straight out of the box at 100 yards. Everybody complains about the trigger but I like it. guess I'm weird like that lol. I ended shooting 18 rounds without issue. can't wait to go out farther. Our range goes to 1015 yards.:cool:

http://i65.tinypic.com/autbft.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/fkw5g7.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/dmzlf5.jpg

Retired45
09-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Those pictures sure look like the Antelope Club. I shoot there on the 100 yard range every Thursday.

devildogandboy
09-04-2016, 07:09 PM
Those pictures sure look like the Antelope Club. I shoot there on the 100 yard range every Thursday.

i was going to ask where that range is, i want to move there, looks very nice!

Bruce

Retired45
09-04-2016, 10:07 PM
Clearwater, Fla. The Wyoming Antelope Club, they have a web site.

swamphonkey
09-06-2016, 10:55 AM
Hey do you ever go down to the Chazz WMA? I use to hunt there a lot growing up they have a nice range there. If you ever hunt in there I can tell you a few honey holes. The lost stand road to the end by the private land is the **** for Florida public land. I think I killed or seen something every time I hunted that place.

30-06shooter
09-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Yes that is Wyoming antelope club. We are going to Manatee gun range this weekend. They have a 1,000 yard range with steel and supply golf carts for target changes.
I haven't been to chazz unless that's the same as green swamp WMA. We plan on hunting hogs in Richloam this fall.

swamphonkey
09-09-2016, 08:40 PM
No greenswamp is a cityboy playground it's crazy their. I wouldn't waste my gas going there. Chassahowitzka WMA is off why 19 along the coast. Wayyy better than Green swamp.(unless you get a quota for greenswamp west that's awesome) but Chazz is really good if you do your scouting. I killed a bunch of game in there. And all those WMA s in steinhatchiee are really good for Florida. Big deer too a 175 pound buck is what a good one will go some larger. I killed a 204 live at at three rivers. And They said he was 3 years old. Lots of good public land up 19.

Acdumpit
09-19-2016, 11:05 AM
30-06shooter, what model did you get your Axis in? And did you make any improvements/adjustments to any of the stuff already on it, I.e. re tighten scope rings, change ring bases, etc? The first time I went to the range with my Axis 30-06, I shot ugly groups. Either the guy that did my bore sight there at the range was extreme garbage, or their bore sight station needed recalibration, the member said it was "free to have it boresighted there, and most guys running the range wouldn't do it", but I was more than 15 moa off target when I started shooting. Went through a full case before I was shooting groups in the same general area, and that was right around closing time. Second time i hit the range, I got about 10 shots in, and my Axis II XP's scope rings began to loosen. I guess what I'm really asking is, do you do regular maintenance and tighten all screws and such before shooting?

FW Conch
09-19-2016, 01:13 PM
When bases, rings, and scopes are installed properly, the set up should be good for as long as it needs to be.

Never trust a scope set up from the factory.

If the base, rings, and scope are not set up properly, any form of sighting in is a waste of time.

BZimm
10-09-2016, 01:29 AM
Ok perfect.....this is the thread I've been watching for. I have a new Axis II XP 30-06 with the hardwood stock and cheap Weaver scope that just came out of the box last Thursday. This rifle, for me, has just one purpose and I suspect it won't run 200 rounds in my lifetime. I have a makeshift range on my land that I can safely shoot a couple lanes just over 100 yards, but my kill zone(s) will likely be between 50 and 80 yards. I have thoroughly cleaned and lubricated the gun and it feels good and smooth except for the horrible pull necessary to rack open the bolt. Apparently that is the nature of this beast. My skills with a rifle of this caliber are limited, and this is the first scoped rifle I've purchased NIB.

So far, I've learned two things. 1) My skills with a couple sand bags on the hood of my pickup suck, and 2) the bore sighting and "out of the box accuracy" of this particular Savage was not on the paper at 50 yards. I've run 8 rounds of Hornady Whitetail 180 gr. and I ran 6 more rounds of Winchester PowerCore 150 gr. today. I just finished assembling a new Primos "group therapy" bench rest and I am anxious to walk through the process of sighting and calibrating this gun. I'm hoping that the benchrest will help take "me" out of the equation so that when it comes time to kill that nice buck I've been watching, my shooting skills are primary.

Are there bits of wisdom that you guys will share? Maybe a reliable link or two that would take me through this break-in and calibration process? Thanks in advance, BZimm.

tufrthnails
10-09-2016, 02:01 AM
Yes that is Wyoming antelope club. We are going to Manatee gun range this weekend. They have a 1,000 yard range with steel and supply golf carts for target changes.
I haven't been to chazz unless that's the same as green swamp WMA. We plan on hunting hogs in Richloam this fall.
GS requires a lot of legwork to get away from the knuckleheads. I only hunt there in my spare time due to it being 8 min from the house and I love swamp hunting. I'm watching a couple of really good ones (bow season can't get here soon enough), it is super freaking deep right now. Richloam also is wet as hell right now. If you don't a really well setup 4x4 I would stay out of Richloam. X2 on Chassahowitzka being pretty good it has dropped off some, but still pretty good. Upper Hillsboro is good if you can get a quota, Hilochi puts out some good deer every year, Hickory hammock as well, If your wanting hogs you need to put in for Green Swamp west reissues lots of them out there right now. I've had good luck at Flying Eagle in the past but it has been a long time since I have hunted out there.

tufrthnails
10-09-2016, 02:05 AM
No greenswamp is a cityboy playground it's crazy their. I wouldn't waste my gas going there. Chassahowitzka WMA is off why 19 along the coast. Wayyy better than Green swamp.(unless you get a quota for greenswamp west that's awesome) but Chazz is really good if you do your scouting. I killed a bunch of game in there. And all those WMA s in steinhatchiee are really good for Florida. Big deer too a 175 pound buck is what a good one will go some larger. I killed a 204 live at at three rivers. And They said he was 3 years old. Lots of good public land up 19.

edit decided I shouldn't hijack post and sent PM

jim_k
10-09-2016, 07:03 AM
Boresight your own rifle. Put it on sandbags, take the bolt out, and line the bore up to the center of a round bullseye at 25 yards. Look through the sights. Move the sights until they are pointing right at the bullseye when the bore is also pointing right at the bullseye. Fire a shot. Move the sights until your point of impact is on line laterally, and about 1/2 inch low at 25 yards. Now shoot at 100 yards, and go from there. If you have a fairly large target, you can start at 100 yards. The main problem with that could be finding the first shot, if you do not have a good spotting scope. Start out at 25 yards, and try it on several different rifles for practice.

tufrthnails
10-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Good advice almost exactly how I do it, but I start at 50.

BZimm
10-10-2016, 11:30 PM
Ok, Saturday will be my next opportunity. I thank you kindly. :cool: