PDA

View Full Version : Calling Hammer - 220 Swift barrel

shagerott
08-27-2016, 02:32 PM
I saw a 220 Swift barrel on Numrich's site. I had to order it, I resisted for a day and read about Hammer having so many. I had to rescue it. [emoji4]

So now a question. It is most likely an ER Shaw 24-inch Savage contour. They didn't list twist rate. What do you say? 1:12 or 1:14?

I have a single feed adapter for a SF LA mag. Probably best to single feed. Anyone ever get it to play with a SF magazine?

Best regards,
Shane

Flintlock28
08-27-2016, 08:17 PM
I saw a 220 Swift barrel on Numrich's site. I had to order it, I resisted for a day and read about Hammer having so many. I had to rescue it. [emoji4]

So now a question. It is most likely an ER Shaw 24-inch Savage contour. They didn't list twist rate. What do you say? 1:12 or 1:14?

I have a single feed adapter for a SF LA mag. Probably best to single feed. Anyone ever get it to play with a SF magazine?

Best regards,
Shane

Not sure what twist rate it is; But, i would get your cleaning rod with attached Bronze brush and mark the exact top of the cleaning rod with a sharpie marker. Than push the rod down the bore, until the mark on the rod ends up at the exact spot you started. That gives you one full rotation...and however far the rod moved, that will be your twist rate.

shagerott
08-27-2016, 09:41 PM
Thank you Flint. Probably the best option. I could at least tell which way it leans 12T or 14T. I'll get the long cleaning rod out and see what it is . . .

shagerott
09-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Got the barrel. Nice bluing. It's 24 inches long. Tested twist with bronze brush. Twist is close to 1:11.5 inches. Ran the test 4x and that is where it averaged. Glad for that because I would like to run up to 62 grain if possible. Pleased.. ��

Scott Evans
09-13-2016, 12:04 AM
Got the barrel. Nice bluing. It's 24 inches long. Tested twist with bronze brush. Twist is close to 1:11.5 inches. Ran the test 4x and that is where it averaged. Glad for that because I would like to run up to 62 grain if possible. Pleased.. ��

12 twists will usually shoot the 64 Berger (FBHP varmint) just fine. They are pretty short for a 64g.

shagerott
09-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Thank you Scott. That is as heavy as I was planning for the swift. I'll use a 243 Win with 70 to 80 grains if I need to go up a little.