PDA

View Full Version : convert a savage .223 thumbhole,to an F class .308 thumhole stock

tony mckenna
07-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi I am new to site,and live in Australia,6 months ago I purchased a savage .223 thumhole,stainless barrell.and love this gun,I also shoot a very old .308 in a model 44 at F class,,I want to convert the new .223 to a .308.and it will only be used at F class competitions each saturday.I will put a very good barrel into the new thumhole stock,,any suggestions or pitfalls.
cheers.
Tony Mack. :- :-\

ellobo
07-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Make sure the barrel and tang are free flaoted. Bed the stock. A too long mtg front screw will make bolt lift difficult as it will drag. You will need a new bolt head of course and a barrel wrench and action wrench. The magaxine will need replacing. Front mtg screws on your scope mount rail may be biting into the current barrel so loosen them before you try to remove the current barrel. and retighten after rebarrel. They will act like a set screw making barrel removal difficult. AAny other problems you have can be fixed by coming back here for more information. Good luck matey.

El Lobo