PDA

View Full Version : 50bmg

Dennis
08-25-2016, 02:32 AM
Starting to get better now and getting bored.

Ford some reason, I am thinking about building a 50BMG. Single Shot, just another gun to have.

Where do I start? What do you recommend, Stock, Action, etc., give me you ideas & opinions.

I might make it happen.

Dennis

yobuck
08-25-2016, 09:51 AM
If I were to consider doing something like that, id be talking to people who are building them successfully.
I'm sure there are quite a few who do, but the two names I'm familiar with are both PA gun builders who
have had lots of experience with 50s and larger. Mark King and John Buhay are both very well known in
long range benchrest. I'm told Buhay recently shot very well at the long range 50 cal match at the NRA range in N M.
King has been kept very busy building improved version 50s for quite awhile now. Within the last couple years
2 of my friends have had him build for them. Both are built on the large Bat action, and I believe he uses that action
pretty much exclusively. Recoil can be very punishing when shooting these things if it isn't set up just right.
Were talking (ball park) 250 gr of powder with a 750 gr bullet. In fact the one guy I know who is a very long time
Williamsport shooter and a former world group record holder, cant shoot his gun while sitting down. But apparently
he insisted on a few things being done his way and not the way King recommended. But he's also now 80 so that
could just maybe make a difference also? lol

scope eye
08-25-2016, 10:27 AM
If you ever get one up and running, I have a varmint load that I have used often, I based it off of this load and then expanded on it.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=198&BulletWeight=300&LoadID=9005

Only I used Reloader 17 instead of H4350, and 250gr of it oppose to the 245gr same Barnes 300gr though.
I know they have a dismal BC but hey it's a 300gr bullet going 4400fps + you want to argue with that.LOL

Dean

yobuck
08-25-2016, 07:07 PM
If you ever get one up and running, I have a varmint load that I have used often, I based it off of this load and then expanded on it.

http://www.reloadersnest.com/detail.asp?CaliberID=198&BulletWeight=300&LoadID=9005

Only I used Reloader 17 instead of H4350, and 250gr of it oppose to the 245gr same Barnes 300gr though.
I know they have a dismal BC but hey it's a 300gr bullet going 4400fps + you want to argue with that.LOL

Dean

I'LL volunteer to watch for the splashes In the river down there in the valley Deano. lol