PDA

View Full Version : round rear short action with a "flat rear" bolt handle

placek59
07-28-2010, 08:44 PM
I am having a problem here. I am wanting to put a large ss bolt handle (from a flat rear apparently) on my 7-08 Stevens s/a (round rear) that I am re-barreling to a .204. I took the bolt apart, switched out the bolt head, and bolt handle. When I went to put the bolt back in the rifle it was really hard to close (probably twice as hard as it should be). I took that bolt handle off and put the original small one back on and it works fine. Is it something with the bolt handles being slightly different? I have swapped bolt handles on my other rifles but they were for round/round , flat/flat etc.. and matched everything correctly. I am confident that I have everything reassembled correctly. Any input on this is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

BillPa
07-28-2010, 11:44 PM
I took that bolt handle off and put the original small one back on and it works fine. Is it something with the bolt handles being slightly different?

That would seem to be the case. Chances are pretty good its contacting the rear baffle earlier and not allowing the bolt body to move forward enough so the lugs to clear the lead in ramps. If you loosen the BAS (bolt assembly screw) a turn or two at at a time at some point you'll probably find it closes and locks normally. Another thing to look at is where the bolt handles ( new-old) are positioned in the notch in the receiver when the bolt is closed. If it making contact or is very close to the front edge its another indication there is something different between the two handles.

The new handle may work on another action-bolt combination, its the difference in parts and how they were fitted together when manufactured.

But,on the bolt-action combination you have either the new handle sets deeper on the bolt body, its thicker than the original or just a difference in the bolt assembly used in that action.

Bill

AVanGorder
08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Try this test. Loosen the nut that holds the bolt handle in place and see if it closes and opens normally. If it does, all you need to do it remove some metal off the bolt handle where the touches the rear baffle. Notice the angled part, you'll see that your bolt handle will have a shinny part from rubbing.