PDA

View Full Version : Nutless barrel

pdog2062
08-24-2016, 10:07 PM
My local shop has a Savage 110 in 7 mag,the barrel looks like a Reminton installed on it,meaning no nut.I understand the how but not the why.Maybe some of the more learned members could explain this to me.

gbflyer
08-24-2016, 11:18 PM
Maybe the smith used a pipe wrench on the nut and didn't have a replacement. Maybe the customer wanted a more streamlined look. Hard to say for sure. It's not a bad way to go in my opinion. I don't use them.

Hotolds442
08-24-2016, 11:27 PM
Some gunsmiths feel they can achieve better accuracy with a nutless barrel. In this case, the nut is usually on the handle end of the wrench. Since Remington barrels are not threaded with the same thread pitch as a Savage, it's doubtful they went with a Remington take-off, although a Remington profile could be possible.

LHitchcox
08-26-2016, 09:14 AM
I have a first generation 110L that has a nutless barrel on it. Sometime in the past the rifle was rebarreled to .25-06. The folks that do this believe the gun looks better without the nut.

yobuck
08-26-2016, 10:22 AM
I have a first generation 110L that has a nutless barrel on it. Sometime in the past the rifle was rebarreled to .25-06. The folks that do this believe the gun looks better without the nut.

The folks that do this are also as a rule more than parts assemblers. lol
And I agree, they do look better without one.

m12lrs
08-27-2016, 06:18 AM
Yep

You can get a savage barrel with a conventional shoulder. You will have to headspace with a reamer like a conventional rifle.though. to me it.defeats the purpose of buying a savage.

Robinhood
08-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Yep

You can get a savage barrel with a conventional shoulder. You will have to headspace with a reamer like a conventional rifle.though. to me it.defeats the purpose of buying a savage.

Really? What if you trued the face of your receiver and had a ground recoil lug? Could you put the recoil lug on the face of the receiver and measure to the face of the bolt and get you finish dimensions that way?

Dennis
08-27-2016, 06:12 PM
Really? What if you trued the face of your receiver and had a ground recoil lug? Could you put the recoil lug on the face of the receiver and measure to the face of the bolt and get you finish dimensions that way?

Robinhood, I don't know if I would fully trust your suggestion above. Going the same route you would with a Remmy is the only way I would put a nutless barrel on my Savage Action.

Most people who get a "nutless" Savage Barrel are wanting an oversize OD barrel. I would have to look in my book, but a savage barrel is around 1.100" OD with the nut. Without the nut, you should be able to get the OD to or around 1.250" , or the smith should be able to get it exact to the face of the Action.

Dennis