PDA

View Full Version : Replacing an accustock with a Boyds laminated stock

robobotdye
08-24-2016, 07:24 PM
After some looking into this, I believe that I could take an Accustock rifle (which all have the newer 4.4" spacing, on a short action) that has the bottom bolt release and DBM, and convert it to use a Boyds laminated stock. I think I would have to pull the barrel and replace the recoil lug with a standard recoil lug, and then it will fit just fine in a Boyds laminated stock that is inletted for short action 4.4" spacing with the bottom bolt release and the DBM. Is this correct? Is there something I am missing to successfully make the conversion? Thanks!

savage2
08-24-2016, 07:29 PM
revolution makes a drop in that is laminated, nice also, under$200.00 I'm going for one for my 308

RC20
08-24-2016, 07:35 PM
I believe you can remove wood inside the Boyds and use your upgraded recoil lug.

I have a Boyds (OEM from Savage came with gun) that is limited as well, putting a different barrel on it.

Plan to carve out space forward to make room for it.

As long as it rests on the receiver side of the cut , open forward is not an issue (or so I think)

foxx
08-24-2016, 08:59 PM
Yes. I would not bother replacing the lug. If you have the tools, go ahead. I would not pay anyone to do it, though. It is a shorter lug. Might relieve the stock around the lug and bed it.

robobotdye
08-25-2016, 12:09 AM
Thanks! I do have the tools, and also plan to change the barrel anyways. I want to put the upgraded recoil lug and barrel nut on.
So basically the recoil lug is the only thing that makes an accustock action different from a non-accustock action?

foxx
08-25-2016, 09:50 AM
^^^well, yes and no. The Accustock models use what is called a center feed, bottom bolt release action. It also uses a shorter recoil lug that is intended specifically for the Accustock.

You can use any stock that is designed/inletted for center feed bottom bolt release actions for these guns. It is BEST to replace the lug with a "regular" lug, but not necessary. If you have the ability, then I would recommend it.

THink of it this way, the Accustock REQUIRES an Accustock recoil lug. Regular stocks can use any Savage recoil lug. But, when buying a stock, you need to match the stock to the ACTION. In this case, it is a center feed, bottom bolt release action.

robobotdye
08-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Perfectly clear now. Thank you.
Foxx - The reason for posting this question was because I am interested in the 223 predator hunter that has a timed and trued action, the same one that you sent a PM to last night. I had actually sent him a PM few hours earlier telling him I was very interested in the rifle, asked for pictures, and asked the question about stock fit. He was unable to answer about the stock fit. I did a couple hours or searching to figure out the question, and then posted here. So anyways, I do want the rifle, and I told the seller that a cpl hours after your PM. I didn't realize someone else has responded also about the rifle. I haven't heard anything back from the seller as of yet.