PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39 Axis build where can I get the parts?

Akinnepa
08-24-2016, 04:13 PM
This is being more of a challenge than I expected. Are there any vendors that have x39 bolt heads in stock, extractors and barrels.

If I can't find anything I'm going to scrap the idea of another x39 rifle and just make the Scout I have take the Romy single stack AK mags.

If that's the case where can I find a bottom metal filler section, if it was steel or aluminum I could machine an inlet for a mag release and front mag catch.

I have mock ups using the front of the receiver as a mag catch but that would be less than ideal.

I've cycled dummy rounds in the mock up. Yes, the bolt will feed them with no issues.

Any thoughts?

daddyusmaximus
08-24-2016, 08:26 PM
Interesting project. Sounds like a lot of custom one off parts...

drybean
08-24-2016, 08:43 PM
PT&G has your bolt head

Akinnepa
08-30-2016, 10:01 AM
It looks like I missed the boat on the parts for building this. I'm going to attempt to create new bottom metal for the SCOUT that I have in x39. I'm going to try to do it in a manner that it could be returned back to OE status with the "el junko" original mag if needed or if they ever become a collector item. I'll try and keep my progress updated but I won't be starting this until late October.

holescreek
08-31-2016, 10:21 AM
It doesn't seem like a very tough project if you can do the work yourself. Post lots of pics!

Akinnepa
09-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Holescreek, glad to see you over here. You've been my inspiration for more than a few builds.

holescreek
09-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Thanks!
So what's your plan? Bolt head and extractor should be easy enough to alter and the barrel simple enough, mag insert will be challenging. I wish there were more actions available for us folks that like to tinker.

Akinnepa
09-01-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm going to hold off on an Axis build in x39 and just modify my SCOUT in a way that it can be unbolted and back to original of needed.

I have a plan, if it works and there is enough interest I'll have a laser cutter in my area make a run of them to sell.