PDA

View Full Version : Brass and caliber

Pages : 1 [2]

foxx
08-30-2016, 12:28 PM
Yobuck makes sense to me. Darkker makes sense to me but i think darkker misunderstood whatever i meant to say. I dont care that 243 is not as accurate as i guess i claimed it to be. My only point is there are some more inheeently accurate than others. If my choice example of a more accurate cartridge was wrong, let me use it as a xhoice as an inaccurate cartridge

My sincere apologies if i seem uncivil. I dont mean to. I am attempting to learn something i dont understand

yobuck
08-30-2016, 01:04 PM
You usually cant go wrong when you listen to and watch how and what the consistant winners are doing.
What they are doing and using in 1000yd benchrest competition, wont be what their doing
and using for other types of long range shooting and hunting.

rjtfroggy
08-30-2016, 05:04 PM
This past week end a BR match was held in New York, 100 - 200 score match. Most of the shooters are well known up and down the east coast and at one time or another probably shot the 6mm something, now looking at the equipment list out of 50 shooters 44 were shooting 30 cal and the majority 30br, only 6 were shooting 6mm's.
Go to http://internationalbenchrest.com/ and look for yourself.
So in short range the 30 cal. is the dominant caliber. With out picking the round SharpShooter is/was right.

Robinhood
08-30-2016, 05:39 PM
So in short range the 30 cal. is the dominant caliber.
And the reason would be because the hole from a 30 cal is larger which aids in getting a lower score even if a smaller caliber has a smaller group.

mikgarus
08-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Call any Ballistics lab and ask about the random pressure excursions, the 243 and 7mm RM are the two worst offenders. That is repeatable, scientifically measurable, peer reviewed, fact.
Been shooting the 243 win for years. Tried a bunch of bullets from 80 to 105 grains from different manufacturers. Tested over 12 different powders. I've NEVER had any of these so-called pressure excursions.

darkker
08-30-2016, 09:29 PM
As I said, call Western, or Sierra, or whomever you wish that actually tests some volume. Or read about it in the A-Squared manual, this isn't new. Even Charlie Sisk has gotten really good at blowing the ends of barrels off due to secondary ignitions.

Unless you are pressure testing, the usual suspects won't show it. This is obviously a different cartridge, but it is the exact same phenominon. Look at the pressures, but notice the velocity? Even if you chrono'd this, you wouldn't "see it". Think the barrel harmonics are different?
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j84/Darkker13/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-01-31-15-00-18_zpsmopqcu83.png