PDA

View Full Version : Dissimilar metals barrel and receiver

DarkTango
08-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Forgive me if I'm over thinking this but as a former aviation guy I'm fairly familiar with the problems caused by dissimilar metals mating up to each other. I'm about to start into my 3rd Savage Re-barrel/build and found a really good deal on a SS barrel but not sure if I will have corrosion issues down the road because it's a chrome-molly blued receiver. Any insight would be great?

BTW I did find this thread http://www.savageshooters.com/archive/index.php/t-34127.html however it seems to be more "yeah it looks cool and shoots fine" than actually address the dissimilar metal + heat + time = corrosion? issue.

RC20
08-23-2016, 05:05 PM
It is not an issue. The only question I had was the lubricant for the threads, stainless does have some issue with that in some applications.

In my case the recommended was nickel and I went with that but others have used everything from oil to molasses (or so it seems) and done fine.

I will shortly have two of the stainless barrels on the Standard receivers (I actually do not know if the receivers are chrome moly or not)

Robinhood
08-23-2016, 05:06 PM
If you leave your rifle out in the weather it may rust if any components are carbon steel. If you connect it to a battery it may get worse.

sharpshooter
08-24-2016, 01:59 AM
I forgive you.....you are overthinking. Chrome moly and stainless are not dissimilar enough to cause any problems, and despite what everyone else says there is no reason to use anti-seize, a drop of oil will work.

Texas10
08-24-2016, 08:45 AM
You're a former aviation guy, so you must have more brains than I do...LOL. I've spent my entire career in that underpaid industry.

Anyway, to answer your question, what you use as a thread lube/sealant will depend upon what kind of fit the barrel is to the action.

I'd dry fit it initially, once all the threads are clean and inspected. If it's a loose fit, thread sealant may be necessary. If it goes in a couple of turns and starts to get really tight or seize, you'll want anti-seize of some kind. If it's just right, a light coat of oil, grease or anything just to keep water based gun cleaning solvents from attacking the carbon steel elements.

Good luck! I hope this helps.

Mozella
08-24-2016, 11:26 AM
If you leave your rifle out in the weather it may rust if any components are carbon steel. If you connect it to a battery it may get worse.

True, but if then if you submerge the barreled action in sea water with the battery connected, you will eventually have even worse problems. Answer: Don't do that.

RC20
08-24-2016, 12:30 PM
else says there is no reason to use anti-seize, a drop of oil will work.

I keep thinking after 5000 rounds the oil gets cooked, just easier to get off possibly. Not a have to but also possibly a help.

Loose threads or not, it gets the anti seize.

sharpshooter
08-24-2016, 01:29 PM
I keep thinking after 5000 rounds the oil gets cooked, just easier to get off possibly. Not a have to but also possibly a help.

Loose threads or not, it gets the anti seize.

I'll forgive you too, for over thinking. I've removed and installed more barrels than any one this site and have never had a problem with galling or rust in the thread joint. But, it's your gun, and you can do whatever you want. Putting anti-seize where it's not needed is just a mess.

Robinhood
08-24-2016, 09:23 PM
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/13167372_1716957485188235_2092533656_n.jpg?ig_cach e_key=MTI1MzA5ODc1MTc0Mzc2ODc1Mw%3D%3D.2.l

Texas10
08-25-2016, 12:27 AM
^^^^^^ I get a chuckle every time I see that. Soooooo true!

RC20
08-25-2016, 05:39 PM
I'll forgive you too, for over thinking. I've removed and installed more barrels than any one this site and have never had a problem with galling or rust in the thread joint. But, it's your gun, and you can do whatever you want. Putting anti-seize where it's not needed is just a mess.

Oh thank you, the magnamity of that is going to warm the cockled of my heart this winter. ;) (grin)

One mans overthink is another mans caution. Having been bit by being un-cautious too many times, I can live with it.

And the above is truly funny, but as an adult I have learned to work with glue and not get it all over me! :distrust: